re-wilding, road closures, in the Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thuja

Reaction score
West Mill Brook has an old road, gated at the Dix Mt wilderness boundary, which is no longer much of a road. There is what I suspect is an old cabin site up there, complete with metallic trash, outhouse foundations, etc. There is at least one ex- trail leaving that ex-road, intermittently discernible. Maybe, probably, more.

An old "truck trail" (charming oxymoron that) goes a long, long way into what is now the Five Ponds wilderness from near Wanakena. It's now quite vegetated and used as a walking route. There is also the Ward Brook "truck trail" in the western High Peaks Wilderness.

One can imagine that access issues, crossing of non-public ownerships, could close roads and trails. But all of these look like conscious decisions to re-wild a place. Doubtless there are many more examples. I am wondering how they came about. Was it a consequence of the declaration of the various wilderness areas? Or are there examples of the same sort of thing in other land management categories? I also wonder if this stuff was controversial. On National Forest lands road closures are usually/often hugely controversial.