Redington, the Crockers - August 12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fourfingers

Reaction score
Left Greensboro, VT at 0445 and drove via Dixville Notch, NH, to Startton, ME, and the Caribou Valley Rd, parking just short of the AT crossing.

Bill Dallmeyer and I hiked up the CVR following directions by George Brown of the Maine AMC Chapter. Directions, slightly modified:

Hike straight ahead on CVR beyond the AT crossing, ignoring the first intersection. Continue straight ahead to @ two miles from the AT and turn RIGHT at an intersection. (To the left is a deteriorating bridge across the south branch of the Carrabassett). Follow this right fork for about 0.8 miles to another intersection with a cairn where another road (partly grassed in) turns right. This road is shown as a dotted line on the Maine AMC map with dotted lines bearing north, and take this RIGHT turn heading slightly uphill. Continue up this road for 0.5 mile to another intersection (marked by a cairn and an arrow made of sticks on the ground) and turn LEFT. Ignore the first turn to the right in about 0.3 mile, continue straight ahead as the path gradually is closed in by young spruce and fir. Continue for another 0.3 to a small clearing where the trail up to the summit takes off to the RIGHT

The register canister is off to the right of the clearing - remains of a toiwer have been removed.

It took the two of us a bit less than two hours to reach the summit from the car.

After an early lunch we followed the herd path over to S. Crocker. About 1000 to 1100 feet from the summit, at a bend in the trail back down to CVR there is some yellow and orange flagging indicating the herd path. At the intersection, the col between N and S Crocker will be visible straight ahead. Follow herd path downhill to the saddle between S Crocker and Redington. There is some pink paint on trees part way to the saddle. At the saddle, there is an old logging road descending to both right and left. If you follow it downhill to the left there are a couple of cairns, and after maybe 0.15 mile, the herd path takes off to the right, continuing to descend. If you follow it for 150 yards +/- it will turn back to the right and climb steadily to the summit of S. Crocker, entering the clearing at the summit. (The AT crosses just north of the summit.)

It took us about an hour to get from Redington's summit to the S. Crocker Summit. Bill hiked over to tag N. Crocker (which I had done on an AT section hike last summer) while I chatted with several NOBO thru-hikers who are almost done with Western Maine.

In an hour, Bill was back at S. Crocker where we pointed out the herd path to Redington to another peak-bagger. We then descended 2.1 miles on the AT to the Cvr and hoofed it 1/2 a mile back to the car.

Total hike - just under 6 hours, three peaks. The CVR took 21 minutes to drive in and 20 minutes to drive out. The herd path from Redington to S. Crocker is easy enough to follow that it is much faster than going all the way back down to CVR and then up the AT to tag the Crockers.

Neither of these is really a bushwhack. Thanks to George Brown for the directions to Redington - and to peakbaggers before us who have made the treadway easy to follow!

The hike on Friday was so much fun that I drove back over with my wife to have her tag Redington on Saturday. The hike up and back from the car using the CVR-route directions took us about 3:45. On Saturday we drove over through Canada from Northern Vermont - 45 minutes shorter drive, but 16 minutes at Coburn Gore in the morning and 16 minutes at Derby Line in the PM to get through customs. Today they were checking everyone's trunk (so were the Canadians.)

Fourfingers
[email protected]

Last edited:
Well done.....
When you were descending down Redington, did you notice that the herd path had a fork only a few minutes from the summit? When we hit it a month or so ago, we came from S. Crocker, and I made a point that on the way back I had to take the left fork. The right fork seemed a bit more traveled than the one we took. I was just wondering if by chance that for one, did you notice it, and two, if you have herd where it takes you. I was just wondering if this took you to the CVR.

Randalls,
Yes, we took the left fork for a couple of hundred feet and then decided to scope out the right fork - never went back to see where it ended up. The place we pondered was at the saddle - with logging track in each direction - we found a couple of cairns going to the left. Where we left the logging track, the herd path continued to descend (against all logic). We ate lunch and determined to go a couple of hundred feet further - shortly the trail turned uphill and took us directly to the S Crocker summit.

All in all, the variety of going up Redington on the old haul and skid roads, following the herd path to S Crocker, then the AT back to the CVR makes for a sweet hike with much variety - and the option (with a short out-and-back) to tag 3 4000 footers and still have time to do something else (if you're not driving back to Vermont).
Fourfingers
[email protected]