Remaining snow at high elevation?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpencerVT

Reaction score
I was thinking of climbing Mount Lowell again this weekend and I’m curious what amount of snow remains around 3,500’ or so in elevation in Northern NH?
Trying to find a balance of climbing this peak when the snow is almost all gone, but before the worst of the bugs.
Thanks a lot.

I was thinking of climbing Mount Lowell again this weekend and I’m curious what amount of snow remains around 3,500’ or so in elevation in Northern NH?
Trying to find a balance of climbing this peak when the snow is almost all gone, but before the worst of the bugs.
Thanks a lot.

There is still snow on most of the high peaks, unless they face east or south, even then, ice is common. Mt. Parker was snow free, Mt. Tremont had significant ice. Starr King was bare, the traverse to Waumbec was snow. Hope that helps. I'm sure you looked here netrailcondition.com

From a trip someone made on Sunday to Parker and the South Knob of ? (Parker or Resolution?)

We barebooted the whole way. The vast majority of this route is free of snow and ice. But the South Knob summit spur still had deep snow. It’s too soft to support snowshoes (plus it’s barely a tenth of a mile) and spikes would be useless. Just be prepared to posthole to your knees. I suspect we were the first people up there since last summer (which is surprising given that the views are arguably better than on Resolution itself).

There were short sections of rapidly decaying monorail (definitely not stable) and a few icy spots between Parker and Resolution, but most are easily avoidable which is why I said you could bareboot it.

Looks like about 3,000 feet depending on how much sun, either by being open or southern exposure. If located someplace where it takes a lot of drifting snow, it will stay longer. It's been cold for awhile but warming up later this week.

Gray Knob is very good indication of snow depth in north facing slope (softwoods) at 4000 feet. https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/24h-snow-plot/#tab-id-3

My observation over the years is it takes warm night time temps and high sun angle to burn off the snow pack in the softwoods. Night times temps are still are getting down to freezing. Of course there is the monorail effect. Hiking yesterday up Star King, the monorail was near continuous from the turn into the softwoods yet the woods on either side of the trail was mostly devoid of snow on either side of the trail. This warm sunny stretch is going to help but will also make post-holing a problem.

Gray Knob is very good indication of snow depth in north facing slope (softwoods) at 4000 feet. https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/24h-snow-plot/#tab-id-3

My observation over the years is it takes warm night time temps and high sun angle to burn off the snow pack in the softwoods. Night times temps are still are getting down to freezing. Of course there is the monorail effect. Hiking yesterday up Star King, the monorail was near continuous from the turn into the softwoods yet the woods on either side of the trail was mostly devoid of snow on either side of the trail. This warm sunny stretch is going to help but will also make post-holing a problem.

I was on Starr King yesterday with my Aussie, not sure if you saw us. We were down around 1130am.