Repel/DEET damages GPS case

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adirobdack46r

Reaction score
Just a warning to others to help prevent damage to your gear. Last weekend a buddy and I were hiking Basin and Saddleback in the Adirondacks. We stopped for a little first aid to an arm abrasion and because we were not moving the Black Flies started to irritate me. I pulled out my bottle of Repel 100, 100% DEET insect repellent. I squirted it all over my exposed skin not giving thought to any overspray and then proceeded to rub it in. The flies backed off and stopped bothering me. I carry my gps hooked to a ring on my sholder strap and overspray got on it. In a while I looked down at it to see how far we were from our next stop and noticed that the Repel/DEET had destroyed the window on my GPS carry case. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista and carry it in the OEM carry case with the clear window and the belt clip. The Repel/Deet etched itself right in to the plastic window. Forever damaged. I have now fully read the bottle and it does mention anything about possible harmfull damage to plastics or any gear. Don't know if I should call the makers of Repel and complain or not.

Any of the 100% DEET products will eat synthetics, including GPS cases, backpacks and even some clothing.
I have a bottle of Ben's (100% DEET) and the label reads "Keep off synthetics, plastics, furniture and paints. May damage leather."

There was a post on one of the hiking forums a while back about the cap coming off a bottle of Ben's in a pack...messy messy. :eek: