RMC Trail Sign and Other Stuff Auction

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have my Randolph Paths book, circa 1977, bought it from Lowes store around 1982. That was the year we practically lived at Bowman base camp. I'll tell you, that trail network on the Northern Flank of those peaks will keep you busy for a long time. I swam in Durand lake as well. Very fond memories of that year. They have some neat signs in the auction for sure. I personally like the Waston Path sign, I always thought that was a great trail to summit Madison.

I think they now have a patch for hiking all their trails. I still have several on the slopes but knocked off all the local trails a few years back with some redliners. I now own part of one.

The framed blueprint copy of the Northern Peaks is a rarity. I have one or two of them from the same period but mine are folded. AMC used to sell enlarged blueprint maps around the same time the first edition of the WMG came out as the ones in the guide were quite small.

Watson Path used to go all the way to Appalachia, the lower section was renamed at some point.

The map is cool but too bad you can’t see a better picture of it in the frame.

I had a bid in on the Ice Gulch Path sign with the obvious bear damage. I was quickly eclipsed by someone else who hopefully appreciates the damage for $500.

I would love to have some of these but the prices are getting out of hand. Happy for the fund raising result through. I might try for some of the AMC signs that are less popular routes. The Franconia Notch area signs are also getting bid up.

I think they now have a patch for hiking all their trails. I still have several on the slopes but knocked off all the local trails a few years back with some redliners. I now own part of one.
They sell a patch to anyone and everyone. It's a very good looking patch with the mountains in nice colors. I purchased one a little while ago along with a membership (as a member, I guess I can say, "we" sell this).

There is the RMC100 Challenge, for redliners of all of the RMC trails. I don't see a patch for that on the website.

Store - The Randolph Mountain Club

I would love to have some of these but the prices are getting out of hand. Happy for the fund raising result through. I might try for some of the AMC signs that are less popular routes. The Franconia Notch area signs are also getting bid up.
In a lot of cases, the buyers are folks who get routinely asked to donate to the clubs, rather than donate a check, they buy a sign and get some entertainment from the process. When they hang it up at the summer place this summer or in theri office, it is something to talk about and it is a subtle reminder to the others that a donation was made. It happens all the time at in person charity auctions, folks will get in bidding wars for trinkets just to show they are better than their competition. Considering that similar signs are used for kindling by the Maine Appalachian Trail Club sign guy, I would rather see them used as fundraisers.

In the case of the Randolph signs, the majority of the seasonal and year round homes have the "The View" south towards Madison and Adams, having the trail sign for the trail that may be visible from their place is a big plus. No doubt the signs get recycled as people age out and have no family able or interested in buying the family summer place.

I remember when Mike Micucci would hang up some old RMC signs on the walls of Moriah Sports store as decorations and sell them on occasion. I know one lurker on the site who proudly displays a few along with her complete set of AMC guides (in very good to mint condition as she collected them before the prices went crazy.