Roads conditions - Rangeley region

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chabela

Reaction score
Hello!

We are planning on hiking Snow (Cupsuptic), Kennebago Divide and White Cap this weekend, and it seems that the car approach to these mountains is more a challenge than the mountains themselves!

Is there somebody who went there recently and do you think it is passable at this time of the year with a "low clearance" (!) Chevrolet Cavalier?

Thanks for the inputs!

I haven’t been up there since August 2006, but based on conditions then I’d suggest staying on Wiggle Brook Road and off Burnt Mountain Road. It’s a long backtrack from the north side of Cupsuptic Snow, but probably no longer, time-wise, and almost certainly easier on your car.

Some photos here.

I can tell you that as of late September the route consisting of Morton Cutoff -> Lincoln Pond -> Wiggle Brook is drivable by a passenger car all the way to the height of land that is commonly used for the start of the Cupsuptic Snow bushwhack.

Beyond that, the road that goes down to Porter Brook is in rough shape. I ripped a splash guard off my Honda Civic down there.

Thanks everybody, but because of hunting season, we will probably head out somewhere else, or nowhere! I'll keep the info for the future!