Roadside campground snear Stratton Me.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

packdan

Reaction score
On a previous post for camping in Maine I got an answer to camp at state forest roadside campsites.

Can someone forward me a list of such campsites near the Stratton region.

And also,do you know if there is a forest ranger office in this region.

Thanks
Danny

I have never seen the campsite list online and it changes more often than annually.

The 2000 DeLorme shows a ranger station on Rte.16 W of Oquossoc and one on Rte. 27 in Eustis.

I have camped where the AT crosses the Caribou Valley Rd a number of times but can't say if it is legal.

Danny,

Due to technical limitations I can't scan & send the Delorme page, but further checking shows actual names listed for two of the types of sites I was describing. They are shown on the AMC map as within the Bigelow Preserve, one being "Trout Brook Tentsite" and the other "Myers Lodge Tentsite".

The access roads are listed on Mapquest as Flagstaff Rd to the Myers Lodge Tentsite. Approx 4 kilometers north from Stratton Village off Rte 27 the Flagstaff Rd leaves east from 27 and appears to dead end by the lake at the tentsite.

For Trout Brook it looks like you follow School St north right out of Stratton Village, it forks? and you go/bear left on Old Dead River Rd (this is listed on AMC map as West Flagstaff Rd), the tentsite appears to be approx 3 kilometers from the village.

Purchasing the Maine DeLorme Atlas and Gazetteer may help in the following two ways:
1. They post campsites on the maps. Differences in the symbols indicate whether it requires a fire permit or not.
2. It is awfully handy to find your way around the backcountry dirt roads. It is not perfect, but it is certainly close enough.

Virtually every rural Mainer I know has one in their truck or car. It is the navigation bible up there!

You should be able to buy one in most general stores or gas stations.

Marty