Rock climbing shoes for Class III/IV Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Does anyone bring along rock-climbing shoes for Class III or IV hiking/scrambling terrain? I've been thinking about doing this because I do get a little bit uneasy on the harder "trails" in New England (i.e. Holt, Cathedral, Huntington's, etc.). Also thinking about this for future 14-ers in Colorado. Does anyone see any significant value to bring rock-climbing shoes along to handle this type of terrain? The idea is hike in with hiking boots and switch for the steep parts.

Also, how do rock-climbing shoes handle on wet granite? Better or worse than regular hiking boots?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I think what you are looking for is more of a scrambling shoe than a rock climbing shoe. Sometimes these are called "approach shoes". I'm not familiar with the options currently available, but I'm sure others will chime in.

In general, I think you'd want softer shoes with more flex for slabs (maximize contact) and stiffer shoes for scrambling with discrete hand and footholds.

Hiking in true rock climbing shoes will most likely be a miserable experience.

Becoming aware of your body and the way you move and balance, and making deliberate movements with a clear purpose, will also help -- no matter what footwear you have.

I've done a fair bit of class 3,4 & 5 scrambling. I usually find trail runner will get me where I want to go.
If I expect prolong scrambling with serious exposure I'll take my approach shoes. I find the approach shoes to be stiffer and more supportive while side sloping and provide more overall traction.

I personally would not bring my climbing shoes on a hike. I will say from experience that hiking in climbing shoes stinks. I did a 25 minute (about 3/4 of a mile) walk off in my climbing shoes, and it was bad.

Nothing is great on wet granite. Try this; bring some cheap, thin, liner socks or somthing you can stretch over the front half of your boots if you think you'll come across a wet slab section.

If I was anticipating prolonged technical climbing, it would be a rock climb and I would most likely have a rope and gear.

That being said, I am comfortable on technical ground, and have been wearing my hiking boots on lower grade (5.0-5.5) climbs.

5.10, Scarpa, La Sportiva, to name a few, make approach shoes that would be suitable for day hikes if your ankles are comfortable with low cut shoes.

Hope some of this helps.
Joe.

Another vote for trailrunners. On scrambly, Class 3-4 stuff, I feel much safer in them than in a hiking boot.

Another vote for "not boots." Clunky. and they don't conform to the rock. Trailrunners are great, or any kind of "approach shoe." Being a climber I usually have an old stretched out pair of climbing shoes kicking around; I will bring those in my pack for steep slides, etc. (Certainly not to wear them on the trail!!! The OP did not suggest wearing the climbing shoes walking on trail.) But they can be nice for a slide; the rubber is notably stickier than other shoes. Just make sure they are loose and comfortable. For steeper climbing, most folks size their rock shoes fairly snug, but for slides, that's not necessary and makes them hurt. Pick up an old used pair from a gym's rental shop for $15; size them so you can wear your socks in them and they're comfortable. They'll come in handy at some point.

Any marked trail in New England can be done in boots without undue problems, but the type of rubber will make some difference on steep slabs (parts of Holt, for example). I like the idea of picking up a used pair of climbing shoes for cheap; they're easy to carry and you can try and see if they feel helpful for what you want to do. My advice for picking rock shoes is to get unlined natural leather, don't listen to anyone who tries to tell you your toes should be all folded up, and get whatever fits your feet without bothering about the shoe's "features".
Note that rock shoes have pretty poor grip when wet or muddy. In those conditions you're better off with boots with deep treads. (Keeping dirt and damp off the soles of your rock shoes is another reason climbers don't wear them on the approach.)

For Class III & IV scrambling/climbing, a good trekking/mountaineering boot would be my choice. I've used my Meindl Gufferts (single-piece leather upper, Norwegian-welted Vibram sole--a "C" class boot for those familiar with the German system of classification) even on a 5.6 climb (Baboquivari's Forbes Route). Limmer Standards would be good, too, and any mountaineering or trekking boot from Europe should suffice. I like trekking/mountaineering boots because they generally have grippy, stiff soles that allow both excellent purchase on slabs, as well as confident hold on flakes. Many also have high rubber rands.