Rock-hopping to the Tripyramids up Sabbaday Brook Trail

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StaceyM

Reaction score
Wes and I spent the weekend in Wolfeboro with Wes’ parents. The Kancamagus Hwy is pretty close by so we opted for North and Middle Tripyramids following the Sabbaday Brook Trail up to the col between the peaks, where we hiked up to each on the Mt. Tripyramid Trail.

Sabbaday Brook Trail is very beautiful and criss-crosses the Sabbaday Brook above the falls. I’d say the first four miles were some of the easiest hiking we’ve done except that there were approximately 10,000 water crossings, of which I’m not a fan. Despite all of the recent rain the crossings weren’t too high, but I think a more appropriate name might be Crisco Rock Trail.:p

The day started off cool, but soon became warm and sticky. After crossing into the Sandwich Range Wilderness, the trail is flat for a while, but then the last mile or so smacks you in the face without much warning. I don’t have any pictures of the old slide, but man is it steep and rocky. We sweated our way to the junction with Mt. Tripyramid trail, where we collapsed and ate lunch. From there it was a short 0.5 miles to the summit of North Tripyramid. Not many views since we missed the slides coming up the other side, but oh well. We turned around, passed the junction again and headed up Middle Tripyramid. The views were better, peeking out towards Passaconaway on one side and the Osceolas and Waterville Valley on the other.

On the way down, I shamelessly butt-slid most of the way off the slide and then we were able to stretch our legs out on the flat sections. When we got to the last three water crossings I opted for a short and easy bushwhack along the brook to avoid two of them. The trail starts and ends at the Sabbaday Falls picnic area, which was pretty crowded by the time we finished. We stopped at the falls on the way out – definitely worth checking out. Overall it was a harder hike than I had expected, but still a lot of fun on a very pretty trail.

Pictures here.

great report IMHO there is no easy way to reach the tripyramids. middle was my fav of the three peaks good views and a small summit. I like the smaller summit tops it feels to me what a summit should be like

We did the Tripes 8/24/11 for my younger son and wife. We went up Sabbaday Brook and down Pine Bend Brook with a roadwalk back to the vehicle. All three of us strongly agreed that we should have done Pine Bend Brook both ways. Although the water was not high, the stream crossings are poorly marked, bushwacks almost innumerable :D and, as you say, the rocks are slllllllick. ;)

Side note: bear scat and prints noted both on Pine Bend Brook and on the Hancocks the day before.