Saddlebacks, Abe, Spaulding & Sugarloaf May 28-30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A little Flagstaff - Monson info

poison ivy said:
Thanks for the kind words, Tramper Al (but I think the only way I could catch you is if you were sitting on a rock someplace for a really, really long time!) :)
Maybe a rock they call "the greatest mountain"?

poison ivy said:
That leaves me with Long Falls Dam Rd to Shirley-Blanchard Rd., which I'll probably do in three weekend backpacking trips over the summer.
Allowing time for some fancy shuttling, I would think that Flagstaff to Monson in 3 weekends would be very feasible and nice for you. With thanks to some of the fine White Blaze photographers, I'll offer a little advice, since I'm such an expert now!

1) East Flagstaff Rd - Rt. 201 Caratunk. You will want to start this section (and end the Bigelows section) at East Flagstaff Rd (parking for 3 cars, with overflow nearby), because Long Falls Dam has no decent parking. Note also that the "2000 Mile" marker on Long Falls Dam Rd has been largely covered by the newly painted double yellow line. If you can manage it, you'd really like to reach Pierce Pond Lean-to on your first night, as that sets you up for breakfast at Harrison's in the morning (which we missed by a week). In any event, your Kennebec canoe ferry is morning only (9-11) until early July, so that kind of sets your schedule anyway. There's a big parking lot just uphill from the Rt. 201 crossing.

2) Caratunk - Monson. I think that's about 37 miles, considering the Monson end as the Rt. 15 (ample parking) crossing (this is where Spectacle Pond is and where the KAS floatplane lands). You may already have your midpoint takeout planned, though I think the Shirley-Blanchard Rd is much closer to the Monson end. Isn't that the road right after the "East Branch" ford? The fords in general aren't too difficult, and we did them at a bad time, after/during a several day rain. All the shelters in that section are exceptionally nice, I'd say. Pleasant Pond Lean-to is in a very pleasant spot, right on the pond, as it turns out. You'll see and hear loons there. Bald Mt Lean-to is right along a roaring brook (forded just before shelter spur), fantastic, we stayed there. It actually has dueling privies, one on each side of the ford, if this is of concern or interest to any in your party. Finally, Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to is in a very nice and remote spot, uphill and off trail a bit, with the roaring river below.

I hope this helps a bit. I would love to hike Flagstaff - Monson again sometime, but the next untravelled (AT, LT, SRKG, MST, NFCT) section is calling me now.

Last edited:
HikerBob: Don't you worry... when you're ready to start backpacking, I'll be there! :) I would do the Saddlebacks again in a heartbeat, especially under blue skies.

Tramper Al: Thanks so much for the beta on the upcoming sections... especially about the parking situation on Long Falls Dam Rd. It makes a lot more sense to end at East Flagstaff Rd., even if there were parking on Long Falls Dam Rd.

S-B Rd is indeed the rd right after the E. Branch crossing. I've already hiked from there to Rte 15 in Monson (don't ask me why, but I decided to do that as my second or third AT section...)

- Ivy

To add to Tramper Al's notes, I will add that if you want a nice day hike thrown in. The section from Moxie Pond Road to Caratunk is 12.2 miles. The highlight on this stretch is Pleasant pond Mountain where you get some great views to the north and west to Bigelow. Going northbound the descent is gradual and pleasant as the mountain suggests. What is worth doing is the car shuttle between these two locations. The road along the west shore of Moxie Pond is a scenic gem that does not see much travel and is fantastic. Then if you check out Papa Bear's thread on some peakbagging and a falls thrown in. There is 1 mile hike in to Moxie Falls that is a must in the area. Don't pass this obscure attraction just outside The Forks. Lastly 201 north between Bingham & Caratunk is a beayutiful highway and watch for moose as they get hit in the evening all the time by logging trucks hitting the speed limit. I wouldn't go over 40 at dawn or dusk. Parking is difficult at the east (north) end on Moxie Pond Road.

Also, you are invited for my Saddleback dayhike southbound on Thursday, August 25. E-mail me for the full itinerary.

Last edited:
Thanks Aaron... I've put a note on my to-do list to visit Moxie Falls. I've been going back & forth about whether to dayhike or backpack the Pleasant Pond Mt. section. It would definitely be dayhike-able if not for the long drive. (It's getting to be more than five hours for me at that point, just one way.) Having other little hikes to tack on makes the backpacking idea even more attractive! :)

I'll be sending an email your way shortly.
- Ivy