Saddlebacks, Abe, Spaulding & Sugarloaf May 28-30

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poison ivy

Reaction score
To sum up: a 28.7-mile backpacking trip along the AT in Maine with MEB, Rachel & MichaelJ, five 4Ks, a whole lot of rain and a tremendous amount of fun. If you want to skip my long rambling narrative and go directly the pictures, you can find them: here

Saturday: There’s no better way to spend a rainy Memorial Day weekend out on a three-day backpacking trip with fellow hikers MichaelJ, MEB & Rachel. We were all geared up and ready to start the hike at 9:30 a.m. from Route 4 (after a difficult drive down a very wet and muddy Caribou Valley Road to set up a car spot.) With an easy walk over the footbridge for Sandy River, we were off on our way for what turned out to be a beautiful day.

The first two-miles of the hike up to Piazza Rock were super easy, though muddy, and we cruised right along through fields of trillium and hobblebush. We decided to stop on the shores of Eddy Pond for a lunch break, where we could see a white-ish duck on the opposite banks. We eventually decided it was a merganser once it flew overhead.

After lunch, the trail started to get steeper as we headed up the ridge toward Saddleback, our first of three mountains. The trail leads over glacially smoothed bedrock for about three-miles, providing an awesome ridgeline hike. The views were fantastic even though the day was cloudy. Every once in a while the sun would pop out over one of the mountains around us -- particularly Abraham, but then it would hike back behind the clouds again fairly quickly.

As we headed down the steep rocks into the col between Saddleback & the Horn, we met a day hiker, the only other person we’d see all day. That also marked our first encounter with the snow… still more than a foot in places and rotten. It was a lot better than last weekend on Bemis & Old Blue, but it was still boot-soaking. Michael in particular did some rather nasty postholing, including one that resulted in a somersault of sorts. Atop the 4,041-foot Horn, we celebrated, and prepared to start another steep, snowy descent into the col between the Horn and 3,655-foot Saddleback Jr.

I was initially hoping that one of the little bumps, rather than the bald peak ahead was Saddleback Jr., but a quick check of the map indicated that Saddleback Jr. was not wooded & had panoramic views. Even though the mountain looked pretty daunting from the col, the hike up was really not all that difficult and we soon found ourselves on top of the day’s final peak, with just over a mile to go to Poplar Ridge Shelter, our destination for the night. We arrived at around 7:30 p.m.

We were happy upon arriving at the shelter to find that we were the only ones there so we wouldn‘t have to tent in the rain. (The shelter only sleeps six.) It had a baseball bat floor, which wasn’t the most comfortable but it wasn’t all that bad either. The lean-to has a list of frequently asked questions and Rachel was quickly declared the winner of the Poplar Ridge Jeopardy! Challenge after knowing that the scars on Abraham were from the removal of trees infected with spruce budworm. Mary Ellen attempted to bribe everyone into wearing her wet socks to bed to dry them out, but there were no takers… (though it became a running joke throughout the weekend.)

Sunday: We were up early and on the trail before 7 a.m., heading up the hill to Poplar Ridge. While we only had eight AT miles planned for the day, we also wanted to hike the 3.4-mile round-trip detour to Mt. Abraham, making for a long day. After just a half-mile, we reached Poplar Ridge, which was really our only view of the day, thanks to the clouds and rain.

We quickly reached Orbeton Stream, our first of two rivers we had to ford for the trip, which flows through a deep canyon. Since our boots and socks were already soaked from yesterday’s postholing and mud-fest, we just waded on through. The stream was about thigh-deep on me, but it didn’t have a fast current and was fairly warm so it wasn’t too difficult. We stopped on the rocks to wring out our socks and headed back on our way, after a quick stop at the falls on Sluice Brook. The brook was surrounded by fields of painted trillium and it was a beautiful little walk.

The trail was uphill for much of the next three miles as we scaled the side of 3,280-foot Lone Mountain. The summit was wooded but it was still a good place to stop for a lunch break since the clouds had stopped sprinkling for the time being.
It was just a mile to the 1.7-mile spur trail to Mt. Abraham. We decided it was too long to leave our packs at the spur but figured we would drop our packs about half-way in (though Mary Ellen, being the hero of the group carried hers all the way to the summit.) The spur path was one of the toughest parts of the hike because there were a myriad of blowdowns.

Half-way up the spur trail, we met fellow VFTTers Julz & Paula, who were on their way to Spaulding Mt. Lean-to. They had come up the fire warden’s trail and were planning to meet Wildpeaks & Davehiker there as well. After a short chat, we headed up to treeline, where the rain, wind and fog all seemed to pick up. The last half-mile of Abraham really reminded me of Adams -- lots of rocks to climb over and a few false summits (at least when it’s foggy out.) I was relieved to see the summit tower so I took a quick picture and headed down.

I headed down with Michael, who was feeling very cold from his wet feet. After reaching his pack, he layered up and had a snack and seemed much better… he was back to his regular pace at least. We headed back down the spur trail to the AT and had a mile-long walk to the lean-to, which was one of my favorite parts of the day. It was a pretty little ridge, lined with trees.

We reached the shelter fairly early-- at around 4:30. Julz & Paula had already set up a tent, (and Wildpeaks & Davehiker did so later) so we were alone in the shelter. Davehiker started a fire, but much of the wood was wet. It soon was out and that was it for cowboy TV. Another great night chatting until it got dark enough for bed time!

Monday: Up early again and on the trail by 7:30 for our final day of the trip. We started off with a steep climb up the side of Spaulding Mountain, which was surprisingly snowy. Fortunately, at this point our boots and socks were hopelessly wet so it didn’t matter much. Upon arriving at the short spur, we all headed up to Spaulding’s summit, which had a crazy homemade looking sign.

Lots of uphill through alternating areas of snow and mud as we climbed the shoulder of Sugarloaf, Maine’s second highest mountain. We dropped our packs for the .6 mile spur path up to the summit. The rock staircases were just surging with water and we quickly became drenched with rain. A quick summit picture on the 4,250-foot peak (my 60th on the NE67 list) and we were all ready to head back to the car to dry off.

Heading down the snowy slopes of Sugarloaf wasn’t as bad as postholing up so we made pretty good time. The clouds started to part as we reached the viewpoint for the 500-foot ravine between Redington & the Crockers so we had a little bit of a view.

By the time I arrived at the south branch of the Carrabassett River, Mary Ellen had already scoped out the banks and found a decent place to cross. The water was actually lower than the Orbeton but the current was a little stronger. It was just a quick tenth of a mile back to the car and we ended our hike at 1:30 p.m. On the way back to Route 4, after Rachel noted we didn’t see any moose on the trip, and like magic a moose crossed the road in front of our car… so at least we saw one!
-- Ivy

This indeed was a great trip despite some unpleasant weather and the occaisonal posthole! I can't believe there is still so much snow this time of year! I'm seriously thinking of retiring my wet socks to the garbage can...they have taken on quite a nasty odor and I'm afriad my feet may start to rot if I put them on again! More than likely it will take my boots at least a week to dry out too, along with all my other gear.

Amy, niced trip report and pictures! I'm really looking forward to our next adventure on the AT!

-MEB

CVR Road Conditions

How were the driving conditions on Caribou Valley Road?

Is this the same road as Carabasset Valley road?

-HP

nice report, i did that exact same hike last memorial day, and all i can remember was that it was snowing on the top of saddleback during the hike and the temps dropped into the mid 20-s during the night staying up at the lean to at the end of the saddleback range.

HockeyPuck said:
How were the driving conditions on Caribou Valley Road?

Is this the same road as Carabasset Valley road?

-HP

Thanks, HP for reminding me I forgot to put the info about the road in the trail conditions report. Caribou Valley Rd (which also had a sign Caribou Pond Rd) was extremely muddy & had some areas that were somewhat washed out. You definitely want four-wheel drive & a high clearance vehicle right now... should be fine for regular cars once it stops raining and the road has a chance to dry out.

I'm not sure about the Carrabassett Valley Rd -- I don't have my DeLorme with me right now... but maybe someone else can answer that.

- Ivy

Hey Poison Ivy, MEB, Michael J, & Rachael,

Nice to run into you guys Sunday night. Glad you made it out ok. Sounds like the river dropped a little since Sun. AM. :) Nice.
We will dry out! ;) I think. Never Postholed so much. Ever!

The Caribou Valley Rd. is not too far past Sugarloaf Ski area on the Left near the top of a hill. The sign is not easy to see heading North. And it actually says "Caribou Pond Rd."
You should have a 4 wheel or all wheel drive vehicle, with good clearance, IMHO. Watch the "ruts" at the bridges!

WildPeaks said:
Nice to run into you guys Sunday night. Glad you made it out ok. Sounds like the river dropped a little since Sun. AM. :) Nice.

Thanks for all the info letting us know what was coming! We had an easy time scouting out a spot to cross thanks to your directions. :) Hope you didn't have too tough a time with all those blowdowns on Abraham!

- Ivy

Thanks Poison Ivy & Wild Peaks.

I plan on hiking the 3 from the AT on Caribou Valley Rd in a few weeks. Thanks for the great trip report and info on the road..

I'm not sure about the Carrabassett Valley Rd -- I don't have my DeLorme with me right now... but maybe someone else can answer that.

No....its definately a different road. Caribou Pond Road is about a half a mile north of the Sugarloaf access road on the left. If I'm not mistaken Carrabassett Valley Road is actually Rte 27, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks for the pics!! I love how the clouds are in some of them!
And it sounds like, although it was a bit rainy, it was worth it. And to top it off w/ a moose at the end....sweet!! :)

poison ivy said:
Thanks for all the info letting us know what was coming! We had an easy time scouting out a spot to cross thanks to your directions. :) Hope you didn't have too tough a time with all those blowdowns on Abraham!

- Ivy

The blowdowns were worth it to get to Abraham. :) I love to be up there! ;)

Very nice!

Ivy, whenever I am on the AT in New England, I half expect to look over my shoulder and see you gaining fast. You have made great progress in Maine this year before most people consider it "hiking season".

Our group stayed at both Poplar Ridge and Spauling Lean-tos as well, a couple of summers ago now.

Will you publicly disclose your upcoming plans to get yourself from CVR to Monson?

I made the same mistake re: CVR, calling it (incorrectly) Carrabassett Valley Road for years. The confusion lies in that the South Branch of the Carrabassett River runs alongside the Caribou Valley Road.

The Carabassett Valley Road is Rt 27.
The Caribou Valley Road is the dirt road up to Caribou Pond.

Tramper Al said:
Will you publicly disclose your upcoming plans to get yourself from CVR to Monson?

Thanks for the kind words, Tramper Al (but I think the only way I could catch you is if you were sitting on a rock someplace for a really, really long time!) :)

I'm not totally organized yet... but will probably post for partners once I'm sure of what I'm doing. I'm hitting the Crockers this weekend as a dayhike and the Bigelows June 25-26. That leaves me with Long Falls Dam Rd to Shirley-Blanchard Rd., which I'll probably do in three weekend backpacking trips over the summer.

I also have two other sections that I skipped over (Wyman & Moody and Route 17 to 4) to make up... those are both dayhikes I'm going to squeeze in this month hopefully. I'm on track for finishing New England a with the 100-Mile in Sept. as planned. :)

- Ivy

Jeez - I'm stuck at work all day and already there are a myriad of posts on the hike!

This was an *awesome* trip. It was probably one of, if not the, toughest challenges I've undertaken (it's either this or 4 days in the Mahoosucs). That first day was a long one, over the 3 summits plus bumps, 11 or so miles to the shelter. I complained a lot, but it was all about pushing myself beyond my limitations. I really need to shed the extra "front pack". :)

Thanks for the writeup Amy - I'm spared writing my trip report for a day or two - I'm still exhausted. But I'll touch on a few points.

The Saddleback / Horn ridge is incredible. There was one individual we met there who had come up the ski trails just to go over to the Horn and down, and I think some sunny summer day I'll have to repeat that route.

Some sunny day when there's no snow anymore. I had a terrible time with postholes. My "tumble" was rather, uh, interesting. My boots were quickly soaked beyond any hope of drying, as I kept plunging through into the running "stream" of trail under the snow. My legs look like raw meat today.

There's a little building in the distance east from the Horn that we thought was Poplar Ridge shelter until we realized it was on the wrong side of Saddleback Junior. I've since found that it's indicated on the USGS topo map on the southern face of S.Jr. with a dirt road heading up to it. Hmm...

I was grateful to have a new, thicker thermarest for the "baseball bat" floor of Poplar Ridge shelter. I had a wonderful night's sleep, except for the moment when I realized that the whiskers tickling my ear were not my cat.

The privy at Piazza Rock was clean, right next to the shelter, and was a two-holer with a cribbage board. The privies at the shelters we stayed at were pretty nasty and a long way away from the shelters.

The river fords (which were what made me the most nervous about the whole trip) were a ton of fun. I was very glad the water wasn't ice-cold.

It was, as always, a blast to run into VFTT friends in the mountains. It made for a really fun time at the shelter. It also really emphasized the fact that *nobody* else was out there all weekend except for that one solo hiker. Nobody.

It is wicked darned steep from Sugarloaf down to Caribou Valley Road.

Nobody wants to wear Mary Ellen's wet socks. I didn't even want to wear my own. That may well have been the swan song for my boots; they were wearing out and the seams were blown before this hike, and I think that now it's time for them, having given themselves for almost 20 of my 4000-footers, to move on to the big trails in the sky.

Baby carrots, a tin of chicken, and half a noodle packet make for a wonderful hot soup on a cold, rainy evening.

My pictures are here.

NE 4K's #54-58 for me. Woo-hoo!!! What's next??? :)

Last edited:
Maaaaybe. Maybe just Crockers. :)

(and yeah, I have the rest of my 67 all planned out this summer so I really do know what's next, but shhhhh!)

Oh, and don't forget - this trip had the most moose scat per mile of trail that any of us had ever seen!

Last edited:
A great adventure folks and wonderful retelling and pictures to boot :)

So, when I finally transition from dayhiking to backpacking are you guys going to be all done with everything or what? ;)

Maybe not this year, probably next. I told myself I was done buying gear for a while.... hahahahahah. I crack myself up sometimes :rolleyes:

Bob

MichaelJ said:
It is wicked darned steep from Sugarloaf down to Caribou Valley Road.
Yes it was. It kicked my butt, coming up it with a full pack. Between that, postholing on the North side of Spaulding, and everything else, made for one of the toughest days ever for me.
If you liked the moose piles, check out the mine fields at Crocker Camp when your passing by. It's a good thing they don't explode, or me & Dave would be history! :eek: