Sages Ravine

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanaG

Reaction score
There's a reason why thru hikers call this section of the AT one of the nicest parts!
Today I parked at the AMC trailhead on Mt. Washington Rd, planning on hiking north to the summit of Race Mt. What a wonderful day to be in Sages Ravine! With all the rain lately, the water was really high. The mile long section where the AT follows the falls was gorgeous. I never made it up Mt. Race, because the water was so high I had to turn back where the AT crosses the water. I was able to cross at the Sagines Ravine camp area spot, but barely. I plan on going back soon, and will hopefully be able to cross the water.
I recommend anyone in the area get out and do this section in the next few days if at all possible!

That's an area I always enjoy whenever I need to quickly get out!

If you enjoy the water and happen to cross the river you should also check out the falls about a mile or 2 north of the ct/ma border where the old campsite used to be. There is a sort of cleared out shaddy area in the trees to the right and you can see where the mountain drops after the trees - you go towards the light and you'll hit the stream that turns into the falls not too far down. I think it's Bear Rock Falls?

I've heard Bear Rock falls is really nice. Discouraging to be so close today and not be able to find any way to cross! I'll have to try to go back this weekend, when the water level should be down a little bit.

Last edited: