Santanoni Range

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climbing Wookie

Reaction score
Date: 5/30/08

Trail Conditions: Some water and mud on the trail to Bradley Pond but very mild for Santanoni Range standards (I am sure that has changed with Saturday's rain). Several 50 ft sections of rotten snow encountered along Santanoni Brook herdpath to Time Square, but nothing more than a nusance. Herdpath to Couchsachraga easy to follow except brading around the bog at the col. Bog was easily avoided by staying right (left will lead to false herdpath that fades out as you being climbing). Bog likely a mess after rain. Panther and Santanoni fairly dry with only a small muddy section headed towards Panther. Black flys and mosquitos not an issue until near the top of Santanoni. They are present but not really biting...YET! Old/new trail down from Santanoni clearly visable 0.12 miles from Santanoni summit with string tied around tree. Old/new trail easy to follow to about 4100' ft where fields of rotten snow are still present. I could not find the old/new trail comming out of the snow fields and elected to straight bushwack 0.8 miles down from 4100' to Santanoni Brook near the wetland area. Bushwack was dense with folliage but never cliffed out and was aided by keeping the trickle of Santanoni brook within ear shot to the right.

Special equipment: long sleaves and pants for the bushwacks, lots of water for the ridge (none available up high), gaitors are a must after Saturday's rain, a map and an understanding of the direction of the old/new trail if you plan to pursue while the snow is still present.

Other comments: Seriously know your way down the old/new trail if you choose to follow it before the snow completely disappears. It is easy to follow except for the snow. My solo bushwack back to the brook is not the way I would have prefered to finish this long day. One bad move would have turned an otherwise enjoyable day into an EPIC!

the Wookie