Santanoni's

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
Need to finish my 46 this summer. Santanoni's and Allen left. I saved the easy ones for last.:D I wood like to utilize the santan slide to shorten the trip. That way I dont have to go from times square to santanoni and then back to times square.

Better to go up it or down it?
Which way is preferred?
Is the trail easily visible from top and bottom?

Last summer I did the trio, up via the Bradely Pond and down via the "new/old" Santanoni "Express" trail. Where the trails intersect down low they are (or were) very apparent. The trail at the top, just before the actual summit is a bit more difficult to see, partially because it cuts diagonally away from the main trail. I really enjoyed the upper section of the Santa Express, as there were spectacular views for a large section of the descent that almost made it dangerous since you really need to watch your footing in some spots.

I did a loop when I did it last year and went up to TS, then came down the N/O trail. I liked going that route because I found the top of the trail easy to navigate while the bottom section tends to be flooded and you loose the HP for a 100 yards or so. Once your on it and coming down, if you lose it you can just keep going straight, to the east and you'll eventually hit the maintained trail, if for some reason you miss the last bit of HP. The N/O trail is also much steeper and more rugged I feel than the path up to TS, so I guess it depends if you have a strong preference whether climbing or descending the steepest sections. :)

I hiked the Santanoni range last August (2010) in the following order:
  1. Couchsachraga
  2. Panther
  3. Santanoni

I ascended via Panther Brook and descended via the Santanoni Express herd path (a.k.a the "new/old path"). My trip report is posted here and includes photos of where the Express path intersects the Santanoni ridge path. However, after being compressed by a thick layer of snow, there's no guarantee the junction will look the same this summer. In addition, Couchsachraga no longer has its unique wooden summit sign and that's a shame.

Try to pick a nice day for your hike because the views should not be missed!

Last edited:
Note that the Santanoni slides and the new/old "Express" trail are not the same. As others have suggested, you'd probably want to descend via the Express.