Santanonis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm just dropping a note to see if I can get some more info on the Santanonis. Our original plan was to do the Dix range this weekend, but this is hampered the Elk Lake trail being closed due to hunting. So, I am looking for other bushwhacking options.

I know that the santas are notorious for being muddy, but how muddy should I expect it to be? Has anyone been up there recently?

Also, I may consider attempting the eastern slide. Anyone ever try this? What is a good approach?

Thanks in advance.

-percious

Percious,

It has been VERY wet over the last week or so. It has rained every day for over a week. Today (10/20) is supposed to be sunny and dry so hopefully it will dry things out a bit. But, I would expect a lot of mud and running water on the trails for a while yet. Also, last night the temperature dropped into the 20's in the high peaks so you will likely find some ice as well higher up.

Chapel Pond, or I believe there is a site back on a branch of the Boquet River, just off the road.

Hi - There are some roadside campsites on Rt. 73, approximately 4.7 miles from Exit 30 off the Northway (on the left as you're coming from the Northway). There is a stone wall/bridge on either side of the road where Rt. 73 crosses the North Fork of the Bouquet, and there are dirt road turn-offs before and after the stone wall that lead to a couple of campsites. Cars may be parked in the turn-off, or you may be able to drive right up to the campsite area. You can find a more detailed description, and even a photo, on the Adirondack Journey website (under the Dixes, East Dix from Rt. 73). I would recommend a pit stop at the High Peaks Welcome Center on the Northway (just a few miles before Exit 30). I pulled in one night last September and climbed Grace the next day via the slide. Have fun. Karen