Scarboro Ridge Trail 10/31/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Judy and Emma

Reaction score
18ascarbororidge103109.jpg

Pearly Everlasting Anaphalis margaritacea

Prospect Mountain 1550' to Durgin Hill

Scarboro Ridge Trail

5.2 Miles 1600' Elevation gain

Kevin, Judy and Emma, Mike, Bob, Mary and Jeremy

Thanks are due on this one. Thanks to Mike who has a home in Freedom and who helped with the location of the trail. Thanks to Jeremy for inviting us on this hike. Thanks to Bob and Mary who kept us in good company along this hike. And mostly thanks to Sally Stoops who saw this vision to fruition through her generous donation of ROW, and the organization of the Scarboro Trail Association which brought this dream to reality and new hiking trails to us.

03ascarbororidge103109.jpg

Indian Pipes Monotropa uniflora

On this day we were to see none of the views which lured us there. Instead we were met with low hanging cloud cover so that even the meager heights we were to summit this day were enshrouded in the mirky dampness of the last day of October. No worries! Good company, new territory, being outside in the woods of New England in Fall. How can you go wrong?

The trail follows the gently sloping hills, dipping into shallow cols and rising again to cross open ledges where views would have been had in several different directions, giving perspective of the countryside we were crossing, but the views were not to be this day. It just means we need to return on a clear day!

26ascarbororidge103109.jpg

In every pumpkin is a Jack- o- Lantern waiting to take life!

Next day I took my mother to Greenfield to see her sister in law who is suffering some Alzheimer. We were worried she might not recognize us, but fears were unwarranted. We had not seen each other in almost 2 years due to my mother's own troubles, but all went well. I took her out to the 99 and the three of us had lunch. My mother's nurse, Janet, had come with us to Greenfield, but visited with a friend while we went to see my aunt. She was very happy to see us and more happy to get out of the home for a while. If you've been to a 99 you know they have 99 reasons to go there listed on signs all over the restaurant. My mother with her 24/7 oxygen and cane and my alzheimer aunt with her cane and myself were all seated under Reason #99: "It shouldn't be a challenge to go to lunch."

23ascarbororidge103109.jpg

The Bridge of Names, Lake Pleasant, Massachusetts

There are some fall pictures from my local haunts to embellish this trip report, along with a few from "The Bridge of Names" in Lake Pleasant where my mom spent part of her youth and my grandmother was the first child born in that Spiritualist Community. My uncle, my mother's brother, rebuilt the bridge for the bicentennial in 1976. It connects the two villages of Lake Pleasant, once a thriving summer Spiritualist Community. Money to rebuild the bridge came from selling pickets which are engraved with donors names and which line the bridge which offers beautiful views of the lake and its pine lined shores. More can be learned about my grandmother and Lake Pleasant here:

Full Gallery Here:

25ascarbororidge103109.jpg

View of Lake Pleasant from The Bridge of Names

KDT

Last edited:
John's right - the gallery has some wonderful shots. I love the fall foliage and the late season view of the flowers and Indian Pipes. Very different and very beautiful. Nice sunset too. Enjoyed the family stories and the journey through history. Some days there are better things to do than hike...