Seward (Adirondacks) May 1, 2004

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALGonquin Bob

Reaction score
The gate was still closed on Coreys Road, adding 3 miles to our walk. The road is in excellent dry condition; the extra miles were covered in just an hour. From the summer trail head, "Hillman1" and I headed back to the Ward Brook truck trail. The trail was surprisingly dry, compared to my last hike there in November. There are the usual boggy areas, but overall it was in very good shape. Even the weather cooperated, with the predicted rain holding off until late in the day.

We stopped at the Ward Brook lean-to and prepared our daypacks for the summit attempt. The lean-to (along with Blueberry) is one of the nicest (cleanest) that you'll ever stumble into. We hiked back to the Seward cairn and began following the herd path along the brook. There are some beautiful waterfalls and flumes on the way up. When we reached the thick spruce area, the path became intermittent, with bushwhacking required. As we reached higher elevations, snowshoes were required, with the snow depth still 2 feet plus. The brook became a maze of braided streams, and the trail wasn't to be seen. Snow bridges collapsed as we stepped on them, making for a very wet hike. We followed the description of the ascent as read on adirondackjourney.com. There seemed to be three 10 foot head walls to deal with; the first being a wide waterfall. We finally came to the headwall just below the summit and followed it left until we could pull ourselves up to the summit plateau. Keep following the path as it drops a little and finally climbs up a rock to the summit, marked with a red disk. The views of Lake Ampersand were veiled in mist and by the rain clouds that approached. We began our descent at 6:15.

We were soon joined by a group of four who were returning from Donaldson and Emmons. The "MarkandKelly" party descended with us. After much bushwhacking and trail finding in the dark, we finally reached the truck trail at about 11:30 P.M. - A six hour ascent, with a 5.5 hour descent. Much thanks to everybody for their help on this one. -ALG

P.S. The gate was open when we hiked out!

By the sound of it I'm glad I'm waiting for better weather for this one... :p

Great news about the gate being opened!!

Knowing what it's like going down Seward when conditions are good and with daylight, that must have been brutal. You guys must be tough or numb.

Doc McPeak could tell you story about his descent of Seward two season ago.

I am a fair weather hiker

Sounds like you had a fun time, AlG. Congrats on peak number 43 in your list?

I hiked S/D/E during last Sept, the climb up and down the Seward path was wet in places, and quite steep in some sections, especially when the path splits near the waterfalls that you mention.

I don't know if it is any easier or harder to climb in winter, but I am sure it is plenty challenging. Congratulations on your achievement.

the sewards

Thanks again AlG for the hike out. We were very glad to see your trail at the summit of Seward and to meet you guys on the way out.

Also, Seymour took us 3 hours up and 2 down. We followed a herd path most of the way and found our way to the summit. It was a little difficult to wake up and go for that hike after the marathon hike the day before, but we actually really enjoyed it. Although we're not sure if we want to head back to Seward, Donaldson or Emmons anytime soon, we thought that the hike to Seymour might be fun in better weather.

Good luck on Donaldson and Emmons in a month, and Table Top sometime before!

11:30 PM is a half day hike!!!

ALG - What did you do with the extra time you saved since you finished so early compared to your Hough hike??????

He told me about "the hough hike/bivy" during that hike. At one point heading down seward in the dark and rain, after a crossing of a fairly high, deep and steep seward brook(river), I said "when are we going to stop and rig a shelter and get a fire going". His reply was something along the lines of "No way--I am sleeping in a lean to tonight". I was seriously ready to bivy on the mountain though, especially after losing the herd path about 10 or 12 times. I was glad we made it to the lean-to, but I was ready to throw in the towel and wait for the light of day. I took a picture of the river crossing, but it didn't turn out. That would have been a GREAT picture. I doubt there would have been many smiles in it.

It's funny... when the six of us met early on the descent, we talked a lot at first. But after 3 or 4 hours of trudging and bushwhacking through spruce and slogging through the brooks, nobody talked anymore. Silence... except for me saying, "I'm going to sleep in my down bag in a lean-to tonight"!

It feels so GOOD when you STOP!

ALG--I'm hiking every saturday, plus a few midweeks until the 10th. I can't believe it's almost over. This saturday is a wash though, I've got SAR training in Inlet.