Sewards and Seymour Beta

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climbing Wookie

Reaction score
The plan for this weekend is to attempt the Seward Range and Seymour. Below is the general plan. Any words of wisdom, suggestions, or volunteers to help break trail :D would be most appriciated by the wookie and Mrs. Wookie!

Saturday 3/19
Corey's Winter TH to Blueberry or Ward Brook Leanto ...Drop Gear
Option #1 - Attempt Seward Range to make Sunday easier
Option #2 - Attempt Seymour due to insufficient time
Return to Leanto

Sunday 3/20
Depart Leanto for whichever option remains unclimbed
Return to Leanto to pickup gear
Hike out to Corey's Winter TH and take long nap :p

I did this trek last summer so can only offer that perspective. But on a good hiking day with three strong hikers it was a full day doing Seward, Donaldson, Emmons. It made for a nice trip to do the hike in to Blueberry leanto, set up camp and then do Seymour. We returned to camp, ate well and got to bed early for the hike over the range then back to camp, pack-up and trek back out. It really is a long hike. We got there (like many others I'm sure) convinced it wasn't really as long and tough as everyone said....it was. Have a great time!

You may want to consider another approach to tackling the Seward Range. Drop your overnight equipment at the lean-to, then back track to the unimproved road and go in following Calkins Brook. This eliminates an extra hump up and over Seward and has been well traveled recently. Our little group will be doing that same route on 3/19. I also understand Pin-Pin and group will also be there. I did it in back-to-back weekends last year since I really like that route.

Seward Range plan!!!

Hi Climbing Wookie. :)

Just a couple of reflections:

From the Winter starting point, the bridge in Coreys road to the Summer parking, it is a minimun of one hour with a day pack, probably You will need over two hours more to catch the Blueberry Lean-to! :eek:

Last Friday, a group from Albany, started with the same plan You are.

Last Saturday with The Queen & Pierre Lefebvre, We started at 6 h. 30 m. with two rabbits group in from us, a group of 4 hikers from WRMC with a overnight packs, They had a plan to go up near Donaldson to past the night and hike the three peaks Sunday. The second groups 6 hikers from Albany with Claudia for leader was startind earlier with skis and We catch at the usual starting point path at the 90 turn in Coreys horse trail.

Before the last brook, the real blowdown place, We had a old grove to help us to stay in the usual path. From this point to the junction with the path Seward-Donaldson, We hiked in deep snow, need to improvise to stay in a good line, with a slow progress.

Fortunately, Janet made a arrangement with Claudia to plit the snowplow, We broken the path with a couple of out of the usual path, it was very difficult to recognize the place to go up between Seward and Seward shoulder, We need over 10 minutes to find the small red marker on the Seward summit!!

When We returned to Donaldson, I tell Janet "if the other groups was not catching Emmons it will be too late to made a attempt". :mad:

Fortunately the two other groups was near the Emmons top when We saw them!!! We are sure without them We never be able to summit Emmons.

Thank You to all and specialy to Claudia, Claudia in my book You are the NUMBER ONE WOMAN WINTER HIKER. Since We meet You earlier in Santanoni this Winter We are very impress!!! ;)

The WRMC They chance their plan, stay the big pack near the horse trail and They start to Seward when We started to go down.

We never see and recept news from the other group it started the Friday!!!!

We returned at the car after 12 hours, it was the longer hike to Junior this Winter!!!! :p

Sunday We broken the trail between Giant & Rocky, with the same deep snow conditions around 12 to 18 inches of snow!!!!

Monday We hiked in very good snowshoes tracks to Esther & Witheface, except over the trees line, We are in a blizzard the time to summit Whiteface and come back the snowshoes tracks was erasing by the wind!!! :(

For this reason, We think, probably every where the wind can blow the snow in Seward range We will not find the tracks of the last weekend!!!!

Next Saturday morning We will return by Coreys approach, come with us if You like.

Pinpin Junior! :)

Thanks for the Data

Thanks everyone for the data. Wish us luck...did I mention that I will be breaking in new plastic boots on at least part of this trip :rolleyes:

Pinpin Jr. - you have got to be one of the most prolific hikers on this site, you are everywhere it seems. Hopefully we will bump into each other going towards Seward this weekend. With our early Saturday start, maybe I can take a turn breaking trail for your group? I suspect I have walked in your snowshoe tracks more than once before as I have seen your trail reports after returning home from similar routes this winter.

Guinness - nice avatar. I think thats how I will celebrate my 46th...with a nice stout only question is which peak will be luck #46? I will consider your suggestion as I count off the distance from the Caukins Brook turn off to the leanto. I bet you are probably right that it would be faster to backtrack and easier up CB. From trip reports & trail condition reports it seems several have turned back from the standard herd path the past 2-3 weeks. We will see how our time goes and hopefully make the best (read as easiest) decision.

Everybody have a good last winter weekend....the thaw is coming soon :eek:

Climbing Wookie...relocated to the Adirondacks from the planet Endoor