Sewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leenie

Reaction score
Doreen and I attempted Donaldson and Emmons 1/15/05 but in the interest of time and fatigue turned around near the Donaldson summit (about .5 from summit). I Have some questions about the flagging vs the summer herd path. We followed the flagging to Calkins brook but I'm not sure it is easier than just following the summer path--any input would be appreciated- plus- any times on the ridge ie Seward to Donaldson to Emmons and return to Calkins Brook turn off? It was a beautiful day to hike and we were very surprised no one else was in the parking lot!!! It's practically bare-bootable most of the way! Any input would be appreciated, Thanks! Arlene

I can't help you with your questions but perhaps you can help me. What was the road like between the summer and winter trailheads?

cross-over trail is shorter

The cross-over saves one mile versus the traditional herdpath that drops lower to Calkins Brook. The "winter" route also saves about 400 feet elevation change by making the connection to the traditional herdpath at the 800 meter elevation. Hence it is the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

In theory the distance savings and avoiding the 400 foot drop to the lower point on Calkins Brook would mean its a better route. I have travelled it numerous times since Thanksgiving thus tracking it with a GPS and transferring that data to my mapping software so I could profile the elevation change. I have also compared the travel time both ways and can report that as I got more familiar with it, I did save time.

Two other considerations would be that the north slope of CB valley receives more sunshine then the southside and believe it or not, there is a nice view of Long Lake just after you cross the low shoulder and begin to work up the valley. The slope you look at to the south as you work your way up has been named "Coyote Dog" by Bill Knoble-look at the topo map carefully and you will see why.

That aside, the path does undulate over uneven and difficult terrain. Since it is very new it tends to have a lot of blowdown and a few thick spots to push through.

I'm curious what others think.

Pvon

Cross-over vs. Traditional

I did both in December. For me, hiking time for both were exactly the same (I would guess that the cross-over may/would save time with more snow). Personably, I preferred the traditional summer herd path because it was hiking in the open (e.g. no zig-zagging around trees and ducking under branches as it is on the cross-over), and because the traditional route is a gradual down to Calkins Brook and a gradual up the traditional herd path as opposed to the undulating cross-over as described by Pvon.

I love them both!!! (Now that I'm done with them...) ;)

6 in one, 1/2 dozen in the other. I agree with Willie about the zigzag course falling short of being a true worthwhile crossover. Kind of like ol' man Shorey designed it. In time someone may be able to course it so it doesn't undulate as much, and traffic may open it up a bit. It does save that excrutiating uphill slog up to the height of land (300'+, I would guess).

Ridge times

I forgot to address Arlene's other question in my previous post. For planning purposes (assuming decent weather, broken trail, etc.), plan on about 1 hour +/- from peak to peak (1 hour Seward to Donaldson, 1 hour Donaldson to Emmons, etc.).

What more can I say?

I read your questions, and was (mentally) prepared to answer them . . . until I scrolled down and saw that others already answered all of them! So, all I can really add is my validation--everything the other guys said is true! I liked the new cross-over to save that elevation, but yes, it's a bushwack. :cool: The hour summit-to-summit is what it took me in December (but I didn't get Seward--yet!!) In other words, from Donaldson to Emmons back to Donaldson is 2 hours.

(Still gotta get Seymour, too!)

Happy hiking!!!