Sheep’s Meadow and Star Mountain 5/6-5/7/11 (Adirondacks)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSettahr

Reaction score
I spent last night at Sheep’s Meadow in the Debar Wild Forest. I’ve been there 2 or 3 times before (including an overnight last July), so this time I decided to approach via a different route. Rather than take the old road directly to Sheep’s Meadow, I decided to continue north on old spur road that continues north around Buck Hill. There’s a foot bridge where this road terminates at Hays Brook, and I’d been told that it was possible to bushwhack from here to Sheep’s Meadow.

The bushwhack can be summed up in one word: epic. The forest I pushed myself through was some of the densest growth I’ve ever had the pleasure to bushwhack through. Mainly it was the alders; it seems that much of the vicinity stays wet year round, and the ecosystem has adapted to this wetness. In their characteristic ways, the alders were growing not just up, but out and in every direction, and everywhere I went, there were branches to grab at me and hold me back. (Moose watchers take note: I saw more moose poop on this bushwhack than I think I’ve ever seen before in one area!)

My hike had started late enough in the afternoon as it was, and as darkness fell I became concerned that I might end up bushwhacking in the dark, but I soon came to a beaver field through which a sizeable stream flowed; I figured that this was Dan Brook, and therefore I was presumably close to my destination. Across the field I could see the summit of Star Mountain, closer than I felt it should be. A quick bearing off the peak with my compass confirmed this- I had actually tracked too far north. I found a fallen log to cross Dan Brook on, and turned to the south. Before long, I spotted a bit of pink flagging ahead of me in the gloom. I headed towards it, and found myself on an old road. Gambling that left would take me to Sheep’s meadow, I turned that way, and sure enough, soon found myself stepping out of the woods onto the main truck trail a few hundred feet before it arrives in Sheep’s Meadow.

Sheep’s Meadow is an interesting place. It’s characterized by open blueberry meadows interspersed with stands of pines. Apparently, it’s the site of what was once a homestead, where an attempt at raising sheep was once made, hence the name. Nowadays, there are 2 lean-tos located there, as well as a horse barn as it’s a popular destination for horseback riders.

I made myself at home in one of the lean-tos, and got a fire going. Over the years, I’ve heard various stories about the area being haunted (including one particularly creepy story about a woman sitting on the fire place observing the occupants of a lean-to all night), but fortunately for me, my only visitor that night was a hare who seemed intent on sharing the warmth of my fire with me.

After breakfast the next morning, I packed myself a day pack and set off to the north. My destination was Star Mountain, a small peak a little ways north of Sheep’s Meadow that I’d heard had decent views. As the old road I’d discovered the afternoon before more or less rain towards Star Mountain, I decided to follow it. At first, despite being overgrown and covered with blowdown, it was easy to follow, and I made a curious discovery: trail markers, both DEC snowmobile trail markers and DEC horse trail markers. Apparently, this had been a designated trail at one point that the DEC had abandoned. Along the way I did see some cut logs and bridges indicative of past maintenance of the route. I also saw some flagging and some old boot prints as I headed north, indicating that others know about this route and use it. Does anyone know the history of this trail? Where it went, why it was abandoned?

After about half a mile, the trail faded beyond the point of recognition, but at this point I was easily able to see the lower slopes of Star Mountain through the woods ahead of me. From here it was an easy bushwhack up the mountain. The sides of the hill were covered in wild flowers, all just barely beginning to bloom… trout lilies, trilliums, etc. As I approached the summit, I disturbed a flock of turkey vultures, which effortlessly, with a few beats of their wings, took off into the air and then let them selves soar out over the Dan Brook drainage.

The clear spot on the summit was not at all difficult to find. On the east side of the peak is a large open rock slab that affords great views to the east and southeast. Immediately visible was Sable Mountain to the east, further away I could spot Whiteface and the McKenzie Mountain range as well as the Seward Range in the haze. Not the best view I’ve ever had from the top of a mountain, but still worth the bushwhack to the top to experience.

On the descent, I didn’t really expect to be able to pick up the old trail right away, so I purposely angled west until I was sure that I was abreast of it, then turned east and, sure enough, was soon back on the old trail.

Back at Sheep’s Meadow, I took the opportunity to explore the meadow’s themselves before packing up and heading out. Even though I’ve been to Sheep’s Meadow several times before, I’d never taken the opportunity to explore the immediate vicinity. The meadows are much more extensive than I’d realized; they stretch out to cover what must be tens of acres. All are filled with blueberry bushes, more than enough blueberries I’d warrant to feed a person in a life time! Certainly a worthwhile destination in late August! I followed a faint but obvious path a ways to the south for some distance before I turned around. I later noticed a similar path that comes out on the main trail in to Sheep’s Meadow- I surmise that the two are connected, and constitute a shortcut to Sheep’s Meadow used by “those in the know.”

On the way out, rather than return via the bushwhack route, I opted to hike out via the standard route, using the cutoff trail between Hays Brook and the Osgood River that shortens the hike somewhat from the truck trail approach. Overall, this was a worthwhile overnight trip into the woods with some new explorations in an area that I’ve often visited. The water in Hays Brook and the Osgood River was still up pretty high and flowing pretty quickly, but it looked like it’d come down some between my hike in on Friday and hiking out earlier today (Saturday). The trails were in excellent shape, with a few wet spots still and some blow downs but nothing major. Only saw a few bugs, and none that I saw seemed interested in biting.

Pictures to come when I get a chance… I’m currently without access to my computer!