Sherrill/North Dome 1/1/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay H

Reaction score
Date of hike: 1/1/11
Route: From Shaft Rd/Rt 42 to Spruceton Road (devil's path)
Who: Daxs, LeftRightleft (AHP.com), Me

Parking situation: Shaft road is plowed out, but right now, kind of wet and muddy. Hopefully that will be corrected soon :)

The snow condition now is pretty bad. we barebooted all the way to about 3100' because it was already pretty spotty with snow. This was saturday, sunday, I imagine it is now even worse.. We were able to follow some friend's tracks though all the way to the lunch spot and then we simply whacked over to the summit canister. It appears somebody lost an apple cause I saw one sitting in the snow that looked quiet edible still. :p

Anyway, the descent off of Sherrill was slushy and slippery and dicey but we were able to use snow shoes for the entire trip down Sherrill and up North Dome. Then we went and sort of accidentally checked out the nice view point that sort of looks south off of north dome and then hiked north to find the tracks again down the easier side of ND.. I basically then took off my snowshoes somewhere close to the DP and then we made it back to our car at Spruceton road..

Jay