shoulder crossbody sling bag wanted

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s.e.charles

Reaction score
something between amazon 16$ and patagonia 169$.

7 to 10l will fit my daily 3 - 5 m short walk needs.

anyone have a suggestions?

thanks

very much what i want. just exploring what is available; i've been out of the loop for a bit.

thanks for the link.

sid

I strongly prefer Mountainsmith's lumbar packs like the Tour for what you're describing. I use them as a shoulder bag for around town and as a lumbar pack (still using the shoulder strap for extra stability) for longer walks.

I've tried just about every sort of cross body carry option that one can imagine from courier bags to sling bags (like you're asking about) and fanny packs worn cross body. They are all fine for in and out of cars and such, but if I have to walk any distance, they hurt my neck.

Hands down, no question, I much prefer the lumbar packs. Best of both worlds for me. Easy shoulder carry for EDC and great comfort for longer walks.
The Tour is the classic and is 9L. I would avoid the larger Day as it's really too big and bulky to work either over the shoulder or as a lumbar pack. Better just to get a day pack in that size range, IMO.

thanks for the run-down. i have a patagonia day pack - maybe 25 liters - and it's either half empty or filled with stuff i never use on a 3 to 5 mile walk along the land trust trails.

i had a mountainsmith rump pack years ago but only used it a couple of times and cannot remember if i liked it or whatever happened to it!

i'm going to dig in a little deeper and check the one you mentioned as well as others since i have embarked on this journey.

thanks again & best regards

sid

i honestly don't know since i've never attempted to use this type bag. maybe it would encourage me to bring just what i need rather than a bunch of "what if" stuff.

instead of buying sight unseen online, my usual style, i may actually go into a store and touch the bags.
It's worth asking what your intended uses are.

IME a sling bag can work for travel or EDC so long as you aren't walking far enough to cause shoulder pain. They can also work for EDC if you keep the load very very light.

For hiking or XC skiing, I think small backpacks or lumbar packs are more comfortable and useful.

I strongly prefer Mountainsmith's lumbar packs like the Tour for what you're describing. I use them as a shoulder bag for around town and as a lumbar pack (still using the shoulder strap for extra stability) for longer walks.

I've tried just about every sort of cross body carry option that one can imagine from courier bags to sling bags (like you're asking about) and fanny packs worn cross body. They are all fine for in and out of cars and such, but if I have to walk any distance, they hurt my neck.

Hands down, no question, I much prefer the lumbar packs. Best of both worlds for me. Easy shoulder carry for EDC and great comfort for longer walks.
The Tour is the classic and is 9L. I would avoid the larger Day as it's really too big and bulky to work either over the shoulder or as a lumbar pack. Better just to get a day pack in that size range, IMO.
That is a pretty useful looking bag. Amazon has the black one 33% off right now ($59.99) if anyone is interested.

OMG - i made the mistake of going to the Mountainsmith website. there must be 50 different lumbar packs.

Q: can these be practically carried as a cross-body shoulder bag?

my naivete is showing through.

thanks.

ps: now i truly have neurotic indecision . . . .

OMG - i made the mistake of going to the Mountainsmith website. there must be 50 different lumbar packs.

Q: can these be practically carried as a cross-body shoulder bag?

my naivete is showing through.

thanks.

ps: now i truly have neurotic indecision . . . .
For the uses you describe, my preferences are small day pack, lumbar pack (with a shoulder strap), and in a very distant 3rd, a a sling bag.

But that is me, my neck, my life. I've arrived at this through many decades of trial and error and countless bags. I had to try a lot of different options before I settled on what works best for me. Buying and selling used off of Craigslist or local Facebook Marketplace is a one way I've experimented.

In terms of experimenting, I've owned the Drift, the Tour, and the Day (as well as the long discontinued Day Light). The Tour has about the same capacity as the Patagonia Atom and is by far the most popular. IMO, if you fill up a Day, it starts to overwhelm the suspension. Some folks add the strapettes at that point but I prefer to either stick with my Tour or move up to a day pack.

95% of the time I use my Tour as a shoulder bag or cross body bag. And when I run it as a proper lumbar, I still keep the shoulder strap on cross body. It adds stability and makes it easier to put it on, take it off or spin it around to get things from the bag.

My wife vastly prefers her Atom for travel.

The older Tours are lighter and are often inexpensive on eBay. I found it to be a journey. Will be curious where you end up.

here's a cheaper one Amazon.com...

Ok, for what it’s worth, we have something very similar to this Eddie Bauer cross-body bag, and for shorter hikes like you describe where less stuff is required, it will easily hold water, snacks, wallet/keys/iphone and full-sized birding binoculars (you said you carry a camera, but that can be quite a size-range). Adding a layer (shell, pull-over) gets tricky because if you can’t cram it into the bag itself - which may not be possible depending on the size of the jacket and how big your ditty is - there’s no easy way to secure the shell/jacket to the pack.

I also have and use this: https://www.rei.com/product/184952/osprey-talon-6-waist-pack-mens which holds the same amount of stuff, but it’s much easier to strap a soft shell or other light jacket to the outside. It would probably be a bit wonky as a cross-body bag, but it’s also far more comfortable FOR ME if I’m doing something that requires using poles, or using my hands to climb.

Ok, for what it’s worth, we have something very similar to this Eddie Bauer cross-body bag, and for shorter hikes like you describe where less stuff is required, it will easily hold water, snacks, wallet/keys/iphone and full-sized birding binoculars (you said you carry a camera, but that can be quite a size-range). Adding a layer (shell, pull-over) gets tricky because if you can’t cram it into the bag itself - which may not be possible depending on the size of the jacket and how big your ditty is - there’s no easy way to secure the shell/jacket to the pack.

I also have and use this: https://www.rei.com/product/184952/osprey-talon-6-waist-pack-mens which holds the same amount of stuff, but it’s much easier to strap a soft shell or other light jacket to the outside. It would probably be a bit wonky as a cross-body bag, but it’s also far more comfortable FOR ME if I’m doing something that requires using poles, or using my hands to climb.
Okay this one is also looking good, If Charles want waist bag instead of slight bags then he can go for this one too.

Griffin and @s.e.charles ,

Having used sling bags, messenger bags and traditional fanny/lumbar packs is that the Mountainsmith lumbar packs with a shoulder strap combines the best features of all of them.

I struggle with 2 things with traditional lumbar packs. The first is that I find them to be awkward to put on when they have any weight in them. The pack tries to slide down my butt as I'm putting it on. However, if I wear it with a cross-body shoulder strap like this...

803b272b-6a0f-4401-b513-fd20e87b0b58

...or this...

Mountainsmith-Day-Lumbar-Pack-on-back.jpg

... then I can put the bag on by the shoulder strap first and then easily put on and adjust my hip belt as the shoulder strap holds it in place.

The second problem I have with traditional lumbar packs (which is related to the first) is when I need to get something out of the pack while on the trail. With a shoulder strap still worn cross body, I can loosen the hip belt and bring the pack to the front, much like I would with a sling or messenger style bag, while the shoulder strap still supports it.

hqdefault.jpg

^^ That's not me but that's how I access stuff while on the move.

One nit with some of the Mountainsmith shoulder straps is that they still haven't gotten the straps 100% dialed in and it's one of the aspects of their packs that is constantly changing. I vastly prefer a 1.5" webbing shoulder strap as it strikes the right balance between comfort, weight and the ability to swing the pack around easily. I also insist that the strap have an easy to adjust length adjustment. I generally set mine up with a 1.5" cam lock. I find that off the shoulder requires a shorter strap, cross body requires a longer strap, and cross body with the hip belt in use requires a much shorter strap. A fast adjusting cam lock makes this easy as does a well placed adjuster tab.

Lastly. the Mountainsmith (and Jandd and Hill People Gear) lumbar packs can be used with backpack straps. Mountainsmith calls theirs Strapettes. I've never needed them for my mid-sized Tour but I can see their virtue with the larger Day. But at that point, I've moved to a proper day pack.

2012+Thanksgiving+Hike+089.JPG

i sent the MS Tour back today. oh wait. it arrived today. but for the reasons above, i know it won't be comfortable. i'm short waisted.

so i ordered the Day. time will tell.

it's a process i suppose . . . .

i sent the MS Tour back today. oh wait. it arrived today. but for the reasons above, i know it won't be comfortable. i'm short waisted.

so i ordered the Day. time will tell.

it's a process i suppose . . . .

It is a process and one that is confounded by different body types and different uses. What works for me might not work for you and vice versa.

I'd be curious to hear more about the comfort issues with the Tour. Not questioning it but curious. IMO, they are a bit clunky for their size but I do find them quite comfortable. But perhaps a sling bag or running pack might work better for you.

I'd also be interested in your reaction in the Day. I found mine to massive and returned it immediately.

The Drift, which I used for quite a while before modifying it for use as a front pack, may be the closest to Mountainsmith's answer to a sling bag. It's definitely in the purse/murse size.

If you go with a sling bag, one thing I found is that I prefer one with zippers that end up on the "top" side when you swing it around front.

c29907a8-patagonia-atom-sling-front-access.jpg

FWIW, my wife loves her Patagonia Atom for travel and my son uses a TNF Field Bag (sling) for birding and loves it.

I find them to be awkward to put on when they have any weight in them.

Oh sure - I wouldn't use a lumbar pack if I had to carry much more than what's listed (although having hips does help with the sliding issue - they have to be good for something, right?). I was just going off my experience with the kind of items and distances OP describes. For me, though, I can still handle more weight comfortably in a lumbar pack than in a rig that puts weight on just one shoulder.