Ski Resorts in the Whites During Shoulder Season

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Driver8

Reaction score
West Hartford, CT (Photo: Sages Ravine, Salisbury,
Hi Everyone:

I plan to hike a 4K soon which has a trail weaving in and out with a ski trail or two in the half-way range of its 2200' northeasterly ascent. This will be my first hike on this scale since November, and I am mindful that the steep grade might induce leg cramps. One way that I might try to minimize this is to switch-back inside the ski trails that the trail weaves in and out of, and, perhaps, to take ski trails for more than just that section if it is possible, in order to do the said switch-back, grade-easing move.

Question is, therefore: is this practice, or generally just using the ski trails extendedly in lieu of segments of the hiking trail, for better footing, among other things, common in the shoulder time? Or can one expect the resort to look after this issue? I did Killington last June, and it was like a ghost town and openly allowed hikers to use the ski trails, as I did. Likewise, Waterville Valley, on Tecumseh last November 2, was pretty well deserted, and a friend and I descended the ski trails openly without issue. Is that likely to be the case at other White 4K ski spots this time of year?

Normally Wildcat could care less, but it is closed to hikers currently during construction. Cannon is closed to hikers except for designated hiker trails. Loon is generally wide open.

A practical consideration is that just because you can hike on any trail doesn't mean you want to, Many trails are pretty bony and berry bushes can make travel slow.

An aside is that leg cramps are generally a sign of electrolyte issues not exertion. Start early taking electrolytes.

Normally Wildcat could care less, but it is closed to hikers currently during construction. Cannon is closed to hikers except for designated hiker trails. Loon is generally wide open.

A practical consideration is that just because you can hike on any trail doesn't mean you want to, Many trails are pretty bony and berry bushes can make travel slow.

An aside is that leg cramps are generally a sign of electrolyte issues not exertion. Start early taking electrolytes.

This is all very sound advice Driver8.

I take a couple small bottles of Gatorade with me on most NH4Ks. The size I carry is smaller than the standard 32 oz. size. (sorry, can't check the fridge my son is taking a nap in my arms). I like the smaller size to help me ration and regulate my intake. If this doesn't sound like something you want to do you could choose to bring a single serving of the pre-packaged powder (also Gatorade).

Last spring my hiking partner left his snowshoes behind when we did Isolation. 8 hours later after post-holing, tripping, and falling into spruce traps he was cramping severely. After a few initial refusals I demanded he finish off my Gatorade and rest for at least 15 minutes. It ultimately saved both of us from an uncertain exit.

This may be more information than what you were looking for but I find that when my fitness level is lower in the season I tend to cramp more often. After my knee surgery I began doing a lot of exercises at home that I would normally never even consider. I use a Swiss Ball to strengthen my core and do squats against the wall to regain strength in my quads. They are relatively low impact and don't put a lot of strain on my knees. If you would like to know more about those send me a private message and I would be happy to share what has worked for me.

Good luck chipping away at your 48. I hope to see you out there this summer.

Z :D

I found ski resorts actually pretty steep and they don't cut the grass regularly so you may not be able to see your feet that well. I've found ticks in tall grass by ponds I fish at and trails in old farm areas here in CT while I've not found a tick when on a typical 4K trail with rocks, and trees, then fir and scrub.

Staying hydrated (I like having some energy drink and water) and being used to hiking is a good plan before doing a big trip. When taking a break, I like turning around so my legs can work differently (facing downhill when going up & vice a versa on the way down) and stretch for a couple of minutes.

Depending on logging off of Caribou Valley Road, the ski trails on Sugarloaf may be the best way up. For Abraham & Ellen, Lincoln Gap is the highest place to start. For NH,

Tecumseh from the ski area is about the same grade, for Cannon, I prefer the Hi Cannon or Lonesome Lake - KRT approaches over the ski area approach,

Thanks for your feedback. Steve Smith kindly pointed me to the Mittersill-Cannon Trail from the northwest (his report is here: http://mountainwandering.blogspot.c...o-cannon-9913-after-getting.html#comment-form), and John Happy Hiker posted a nice report on it, too, here: http://1happyhiker.blogspot.com/2013/09/cannon-mittersill-loop-hike.html. There's another helpful report here: http://www.scenicnh.com/blog/2013/08/mittersill-cannon-trail-cannon-mountain/.

I'm gonna ascend via that route - sounds like it affords very fine views, and tomorrow's looking like a very nice day for it. If the legs allow - for me the issue usually is limit of exertion, not hydration or electrolytes - I'll make the trip on KRT over to the overlook above the cliffs and double back to descend via the route of ascent.

On Edit: Crap, never mind. Just checked the weather report for tomorrow. What happened to that beautiful Memorial Day I was expecting?!? Maybe next weekend. ....

Last edited: