Ski Warm-Up Suggestions Prior To Marcy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oscar

Reaction score
I want to attempt a ski trip up and down Marcy but before I do I would like to get more practice on some other challenging trips. So far, I have done some trips around Siamese Wilderness Area (Hour Pond), Snow Hole near Petersburg Pass and Avalanche Pass. Someone suggested Whales Tail with a descent towards Marcy Dam. If anyone has any other suggestions I would like to hear them. I was thinking maybe the Thunderbolt trail on Greylock might be one but i am not sure if that is for people with telemark and at/randonee. Note that my set up is Fischer Rebound skis, rossignol bc11 boots, 3 pin bindings with cables and some skins. It isnt that high tech of a set-up compared to what I have seen with lots of other people on the trails but i believe it should be sufficient for me to get down albeit maybe not as graceful as folks with the full telemark and at/randonee set-ups. Thanks

Other suggestions

Sounds like you are on the right path, routes you've done are all good intros to and prep for Marcy. Whales Tail is a good one, also in that same area is the Wright Peak ski trail. You might want to also give the Whiteface Mt. Toll Rd a try. Lower end of the Jackrabbit Trail is good also

Thanks for your suggestions. I have been up the Whiteface road but i think i am in need of something a bit tighter. Whales tail, the wright ski trail and that last part of the jackrabbit should be good. Thanks.

I have done the Wright Peak ski trail twice and enjoyed it immensely - narrow, twisty turny but with level traverses as runouts. It is worth doing for its own sake as well as for training. I plan to do a Marcy ski ascent/descent this season too. Having hiked Marcy a few times in winter I know it will be a tough ski for me but the challenge is part of the fun. Hope to see you out there!