Sleeping arrangements in very warm weather?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
Went camping in the adk this weekend. Amazing weekend! Went up Gothics, went swimming in Chapel Pond, etc. Everything would of been perfect if I could of sleep for more than 4 hours per night! I kid you not, it must of been 40C in our tent, it was unbearable. I wanted to sleep outside the tent, but there were way too many bugs and I didn't have a net.

Next time I go camping, I was thinking of changing my sleeping arrangements for a tarp (in case it rains) if needed and buying one of those bug nets (like the Mountain Equipment Coop's Coghlan's Hikers Mosquito Net) and simply sleeping outside in my net under my tarp. It would lovely as there was a nice little breeze outside. The MEC's net doesn't stop no-see-ums, but I'm guessing there are nettings out there that do (suggestions?).

I was wondering how others deal with such hot weather? A lot of people seemed to be sleeping in their tents at the campground where we were staying and didn't seem to mind the heat, but I can't really tolerate heat too well.

Thanks for the info!

Fish

Hiking fish -
If it is good, but buggy weather, I would only set up the body of the tent and leave the fly handy, but not on the tent (perhaps clipped and rolled off to one side for a fast moving storm) to maximize airflow.

I also find in hot weather and no shade, I try not to set my tent up until the sun heads down (you could stake it out and have the poles in the sleeves or clips ready to erect in a minute or two. I find tents (especially with the fly on) collect heat if set up too early in the afternoon, and if no breeze, it is hard to move the hot air out. This warm tent also seems to attract more insects as the evening air cools just a few degrees.

I like a tarp later in the summer, when bugs are an issue, but I have spent miserable nights listening to the mosquitoes whine outside my mesh as I suck in tepid air, desperately wishing for a cool breeze. If changing location is an option, try to find higher points around lakes and ends of hills, ridges and such that offer more wind or more valley air flow (cold air sinks) during the evening.

When I carry my Tarp or Betalite I also carry the old 4'x4' mesh cover from my baby's stroller to cover any part of my body sticking out from my sleeping bag, in case the mosquitoes are bad.

More and more 3-season tents have better, ("better" meaning in this case thinner, lighter and more porous) mesh that allows more air through than in the past - A few tents have the entire tent body made up of highly breathable see-thru mesh, which also makes them lighter to carry.

If you are using a 3-4 season tent, most of your tent body might be simple opaque 1.9 oz uncoated nylon which lets very little air through - there isn;t much you can do with these tents in very hot muggy weather, except perhaps find a breezy location.

Hope this helps
Rick

Last edited:
Portable fan and a spray bottle

First of all naked is coolest :D but not always possible :mad: based on who is in the tent with you :cool: . We bring a battery operated fan when we car camp and a spray bottle to mist ourselves. Then we lay in the breeze of the fan and allow the water to evaporate off of us giving a VERY cooling effect!

A few years ago, I went out and bought a summer tent that has a tent body of mostly netting. On warm nights, I'll leave the fly off and enjoy whatever breezes there may be while remaining protected from bugs.

hikingfish said:
Hi!
Next time I go camping, I was thinking of changing my sleeping arrangements for a tarp (in case it rains) if needed and buying one of those bug nets (like the Mountain Equipment Coop's Coghlan's Hikers Mosquito Net) and simply sleeping outside in my net under my tarp. It would lovely as there was a nice little breeze outside. The MEC's net doesn't stop no-see-ums, but I'm guessing there are nettings out there that do (suggestions?).

In answer to this question, there is a great bug canopy available from Gossamer Gear. It's lightweight, compact, versatile and inexpensive. I'm going to get one myself because I use a tarp, and I'll post a review sometime in the future. I've suffered through a hot night at Lake Colden and won't go back to sleeping in a tent in hot weather ever again.

'mids?

I have to say I'm still looking for a tent and I've been eyeing those *mids tent from Black Diamond (betamid to be more precise). Couldn't find a whole lot about them on this forum, but they do look great. Does anyone know where one could go to see one? I often go to the Adk, but I'm from Montreal...

Fish

i learned a really good trick in college, you might want to try this one. stop at the store and buy a 6 pack. before you go to bed, remove the cap off the bottle and drink until gone. repeat step one five more times, and bingo, you won't even notice the heat. also helps to have campfire and songs to sing or a deck of cards.

Have you considered using a hammock? My Hennessy did feel warm when I first got in, but as the air cooled the hammock cooled along with it. I stayed dry throughout the thunderstorms (thanks to a little guy line repositioning from Poison Ivy!!!) and the cold air afterward just blew right through me. Being up off the ground had my back nice and cool as well.

jbrown said:
In answer to this question, there is a great bug canopy available from Gossamer Gear. It's lightweight, compact, versatile and inexpensive. I'm going to get one myself because I use a tarp, and I'll post a review sometime in the future. I've suffered through a hot night at Lake Colden and won't go back to sleeping in a tent in hot weather ever again.
This seems to be dessigned specifically for their shelter system, though I suppose with lines it could be adapted to tarps if they had tie off points.

"The Gossamer Gear Bug Canopy was designed to provide effective protection from flying bugs and to a lesser degree crawling bugs with a minimum weight penalty. At 3 oz, the Bug Canopy can be easily added to your Spinnshelter and will form a small enclosure from the middle of your sleeping bag up over your head and out towards the front door. The design is simple but effective; you will attach the Bug Canopy to five attachment points already sewn into your Spinnshelter which will create a canopy over your head and will keep pesky bugs at bay so you can eat, read or sleep in peace."

hikingfish said:
I have to say I'm still looking for a tent and I've been eyeing those *mids tent from Black Diamond (betamid to be more precise). Couldn't find a whole lot about them on this forum, but they do look great. Does anyone know where one could go to see one?

Fish

hikingfish,
i own the betamid. i love how light it is and that i can use my own trekking poles to set it up. instead of the bathtub floor i use a piece of tyvek for the floor to save on weight.
something to keep in mind w/ this tent is that if you thrash about when you sleep you can easily knock down the poles...the area between the tarp side and the poles is a little bigger than the width of a thermarest pad.
it works great in rain storms and high winds!

I tend to tarp (not tarp tent) and bring along a bug bivy this time of the year. The only reason I do the bug bivy is the dawn feeding frenzy, i find I don't really get bit at night.

For those looking at tarp tents, check out Oware's Alphamid. Like a half Megamid. I'm among the tarp tent impaired when it comes to setting these things up, the Alphamid seem much less of a hassle.

I do find that bugs tend to collect in the peak of a tarp tent.

hikingfish said:
I have to say I'm still looking for a tent and I've been eyeing those *mids tent from Black Diamond (betamid to be more precise). Fish
I own both the Betamid and Betabug (mesh insert with bathtub fllor attached. I used it this weekend (betabug) in the leanto in BSP. The midges were brutal the night before, so after dealing with black flies all day in the hot sun on the Traveler loop (simply inbearable - never saw them worse!) the thought of even one midge getting to me was enough to make me put up the insert. Worked like a charm: I was cool, bug free, and slept like the dead.

REI sells both of these items.

SherpaKroto said:
I own both the Betamid and Betabug (mesh insert with bathtub fllor attached. I used it this weekend (betabug) in the leanto in BSP. The midges were brutal the night before, so after dealing with black flies all day in the hot sun on the Traveler loop (simply inbearable - never saw them worse!) the thought of even one midge getting to me was enough to make me put up the insert. Worked like a charm: I was cool, bug free, and slept like the dead.

REI sells both of these items.

Hi Sherpa,
Do you have any "action" shots of your betamid / betabug? I'd be curious to see how it looks.

Thanks!

I would definitely eliminate the fly on a hot night. My 3-man has a top that opens up entirely which is great for looking at stars. If you are concerned about a midnight t-storm, attach 1/2 of the fly to one side of the tent, and roll it up. If it starts raining, hop out and roll the fly out over your tent.

As for netting, my buds and I have been using funeral veil material. Its < $3 per yard at the fabric store, and is very light. I made a net for my kiddie backpack out of it, and that works well. It seems to stop the no-see-ums just as well as more expensive netting, and I think it is lighter too. If you get a large enough piece of it, you can cover the front of a leanto pretty easily.

-percious

Yam and SherpaK,
I really think I like the betamid, but I can see the poles in the middle of the tent being a problem when trying to snuggle up at night :D

I might try looking at those all-mesh tents...that would be a nice alternative. I've also looked at a couple of stores that rent equipment and none of them rent hammocks, which is a shame. Although I can foresee problems being 2 in a hammock.

thanks for all your comments guys!

Fish

Bug Hut 1

I have the Bug Hut 1, and I love it, saved me a nice night's sleep. It fits over your sleeping bag, but I found it too hot to be in the bag, so I devised a way to turn it into more of a tent. I used some black tubing and put it at the feet, so the end would have a shape. Then I attached a paper clip (the spring binder style) to the outside, which not only holds the tubing in place but also gives a place to attach a guy line. I then screw some small eyelets into the shelter wall and floor, to hold everything out. It weighs about 17 ounces and is large enough to roll over in without hitting the sides. I love it.