sleeping bag?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VFTTop'r

Reaction score
I am looking for a down bag for warmer weather. I have 0 degree bag which works well in cold weather. I am a warm sleeper so my 0 will toast me in the warmer weather. Any recomendations?

I bought a Western Mountaineering Highlite last year and I LOVE that bag. Kept me toasty warm down to 38 degrees even though normally I get VERY cold when I sleep. It weighs 15 ounces and is amazingly comfy. Used it on the Long Trail and I don't think I will use a different summer bag ever again . . . How's that for a good review :D

sli74

Western Mountaineering Iroquios. 1.5lbs. conservative 38F rating, but actual measures 4.5" loft vs. 3" spec'd. Full lenth zipper - you can open it up for warm weather. Normal duty fabric for good robustness (long life). If you can live with a lighter duty fabric and a 3/4 length zipper then you can get a 1 lb bag with a 35 rating from them.

John H Swanson said:
Western Mountaineering Iroquios. 1.5lbs. conservative 38F rating, but actual measures 4.5" loft vs. 3" spec'd. Full lenth zipper - you can open it up for warm weather. Normal duty fabric for good robustness (long life). If you can live with a lighter duty fabric and a 3/4 length zipper then you can get a 1 lb bag with a 35 rating from them.

What's the price range? Where do you get Western Mountaineering brand?

I bought mine from Ramsey Outdoor in Paramus NJ. the price was about $200. It was a special order, no shipping charge. They have some stock, not the one I wanted though. There is a good Western mountaineering website for info.

The WM iroquios isn't made anymore. I got mine on closeout for about $160. Most of the ultralite summer bags from WM seem to retail for $220+. The mitylite and the megalite come to mind...

Jay

I use a fleece sleeping bag liner and a lightweight retangular bivy cover.
light and comfy.

Not that this helps you, but for transitional cold I still have the down bag my parents
bought for their boyscout for $50 at Caldor 30 years ago. :)

Google "Downright Voyager", I bought one of their "rated 0" bags new on ebay for $75.
Based on actual use, I would rate this bag to 25.

The WM iroquios isn't made anymore.

I think the Iroquios was replaced by the Caribou - 35 degrees, 3.5 inch loft and full zipper. Looks like Seema's Highlite but is made with their standard material and is cut bigger. It's a great bag.

Wiggy's overbag

I am planning on using my Wiggy's overbag for 2-3 season use. It is highly compressible, light, durable, and retains its loft very well.
Alone it is rated to 35 degrees and weighs 2.5 lbs.
In combination with my 0 degree bag it will be good to -30 degrees. It is larger (thus an overbag) than a typical mummy bag and has 2 zippers.

It has already come in handy when a nearby camper was stuck with a 20 degree bag in temperatures that were approaching -5 degrees. I layered up and loaned him my overbag.

145$ www.wiggys.com

I'm thinking about using a 45 deg for summer and a fleece liner combination for the late spring through late summer temps? I'm looking for a low budget solution. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
VFTTop'r said:
I'm thinking about using a 45 deg for summer and a fleece liner combination for the late spring through late summer temps? I'm looking for a low budget solution. Any suggestions?

If you already own any fleece, capiline or other insulated shirt and pants, you would probably get better warmth to weight from these than from a bag liner. Saves $$ and more versatile too. A lightweight down or synthetic jacket could also be lighter and provide better warmth. If it's too warm to wear the jacket, then you have a really nice down pillow. It's pretty nice to have on those really cool spring and fall mornings getting going around camp.

sierratradingpost.com has the kelty ligthyear 45 - long for $90, a pretty good deal. i almost bought this one, but then i found the mountainsmith wisp 30 for $130 and couldnt pass up a sweet deal like that.

I just picked up a Marmot arroyo 30 degree long from sierra trading for $179, thats $100 dollars off for a premium bag. Its made with 800 power fill down and pertex nylon shell, weighs in at 2lbs 2 oz. Other features worth looking at also.

Campmor has their own brand of bags, I've been happy with their 2lb, 40° semi rectangular bag that I bought for around $80. I did upgrade to the lighter and warmer highlight, but the campmor bag is an excellent deal.

Do keep in mind that a fleece blanket is going add no small amount of weight to your sleeping system. A light bivy might give you more bang for the weight.

rondack46- What size is your Overbag? A buddy of mine has a L/W that weighs 3 lbs. 5 oz. in it's stuff sack? Have you weighed yours?

on a budget

I am always on a budget. I found a great summer bag for almost nothin'. I've used it down to the mid 30s with some good long johns. Its rated to 50, but I think 45 is more acurate. How big a boy ara ya? Cause it's cut kind of tight. I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs and it is a nice snug fit for me. It's tall, but if your wide it won't work for you:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=129749

I got the mummy. My BPing partner liked mine so much he bought one too. Just don't go usin' it at 30 degrees without some more insulation....

Ok, here's my two cents on the "el-cheapo" solution to a summer bag. I have virtually no budget to buy top o' the line gear, let alone spend over $100 on a sleeping bag. After looking around for a while, I settled on the Lafuma Patrol Light . I compared it to Golite synthetic fill bags rated around 40 degrees and found that it's about 1/3 the cost at about the same weight. It has plenty of length, I can bury my 6'1" frame below the hood opening when it's all zipped up and put my arms over my head. My only complaint is that it's a little narrow for my taste. Don't be put off by the $29 cost, it's well worth the investment. :D