Sleeping Lion and Halcott (Catskills)1-1-09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermit

Reaction score
Home-West Shokan N.Y.Avatar 35x12 Catskill grid pa
Maddy and I embarked on our hike today from the deep notch road. Temperatures were quite chilly and the wind was gusting,a perfect day to be out. Both of us had been up Halcott many times in many different months,but neither of us had been up N.E Halcott or Sleeping Lion a Catskill Hundred Highest at 3408.We looked at the map and headed up in a north direction of about 20deg.The ridge walk was quite pleasant going up just above the drainage basin.There were some blowdowns from recent storms ,but nothing out of the ordinary.I did not have a gps ,but I did have a calibrated altimeter.We carried all the winter essentials ,but micro spikes were fine for the 4 to 6 inches of powder on hard pack snow.The ridge going up Sleeping Lion got steep towards the summit,then it rounded out nicely.My altimeter read 3400',and the summit had no views ,but was very nice.We could see Halcott off in the distance so we followed the ridge southwest about 220 deg.The winds were gusting but the sun and the blue skies were magnificent!We encountered some blowdowns along the way and some picker bushes poking out of the snow,but the winter season has tamed them down some.We kept following the shoulder in the S.W. direction and after a few rises we were at the Canister.Warm soup went down very well,and the wind chills were way below zero,but it felt great!!And were were able to add another Catskill Hundred Highest peak to our list 64/102.I am looking forward to hiking another one soon,some are off the beaten path and very beautiful in their way.What a great way to start 2009!!If all goes well,the Wildcats tomorrow and Olderbark Sat.

Last edited:
Hi Heather,and Tom
Halcott is a totally different Mt. in the winter. When I was hiking the 35 x 12 grid, conditions on Halcott one year were quite difficult with nettles and thorn bushes and dense ground cover from caterpillar infestation.I hiked that mt. 3 months in a row under those conditions. I must admit as much as I liked hiking the mountains in all months,those conditions tested me somewhat.I don't curse very much,but I did come up with a few good phrases.:eek:

Last edited:
Only twice in the entire 35 did I proclaim: "Forget it! I don't care if I finish the list or not. I HATE bushwacking. I'm not doing this! I'm NOT having fun." Once was deep in the nettles on Halcott, the other was deep in blowdown on Fir.

Learning to forgive is part of the experience... ;)