Small NH Hikes with a Clogged Vein

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Disclaimer: I am not a doctor or a nurse practitioner. If you have a DVT, then discuss what you should and should not do in terms of activity, etc. with your licensed doctor (MD) and his/her medical team (registered nurses and nurse practitioners). The following relates how I am dealing with my own DVT. It is in no way a recommendation of how you should or should not deal with your personal medical situation.

Last week, I was diagnosed with a DVT (deep vein thrombosis -- blood clot). I've been down this road before; I had a huge DVT in all the major veins of my left leg and pelvic region while I was pregnant with Alex. I'm very informed about my condition (caused by two recessive and mutated MTHFR alleles) and I'm being well taken care of by a top-notch medical team, so I count myself lucky.

This time around, the clot is not occupying every single major vein in my left leg and pelvic region...that's good, anyway. It's "only" stretched out along my common femoral vein, and it's keeping itself to the sides of the vessel instead of blocking the entire passageway. It's a kinder, gentler clot.

I've been on Lovenox for a week (tummy shots and headaches and bruising, oh my!) while they figure out my proper does of Coumadin (the pill I'll take forever and ever, amen). My long-term outlook is maybe good, maybe bad. Coumadin will keep my blood thinned so another DVT shouldn't form, but I'll bleed like a hemophiliac every time I scrape my knee. Oh well, there are worse things to deal with.

Given all of the above, I had to take it easy last week. At first, there was a (very slight) chance part of the clot could break off and travel to my heart, lungs, or brain (embolism). That being said, research suggests that there's no difference in risk of embolism between groups of recently diagnosed patients who stay home immobilized and groups who walk daily, and that the risk for post-thrombotic syndrome is slightly lower in the active group. I'm already dealing with post-thrombotic syndrome from my previous clot, and I don't want to deal with it to a greater degree in the years to come...so no staying home for me, thanks. Besides, if I'm going to have an embolism, I'd rather have it surrounded by trees than while sitting on my easy-chair staring at the ceiling. However, it was important to keep the kids in a position where they could easily get help if a situation were to turn sour.

Church Pond Trail, 2.2 miles roundtrip -- June 14, 2012

A flat one mile (one way) hike that starts in a campground -- sounds perfect for my situation, yes? The trailhead is right next to the caretaker's RV. Should have been just the thing.

Right away, one is presented with a river to cross. No stepping stones, just take off the boots and wade (or swim, if the water's high and the current is slow). The girls and I found this enjoyable, so no big deal. Took me less than 20 seconds to get across.

The trail to the pond isn't too difficult to follow, though one might be confused by the intersections if one hasn't read the White Mountain Guide. Stick to the left part of this old loop trail -- the east section is closed. You'll feel like you're going straight.

Once close to the pond, things get nasty for one or two tenths of a mile. Once upon a time, when the bog bridges were maintained, this must have been a gorgeous trail. Now, however, it's a big swamp with old wood and rusty nails sticking out of deep, thick mud. The girls and I persevered, dodged the nails, and reached our destination, which was a scenic knoll overlooking Church Pond. A lone turtle stood in the center of the clearing, though he did a quick imitation of a rock when Max (our border terrier) approached him. It was a lovely spot, but one has to go through literal hell and high water to get there.

If you'd like to get a feel for this trail, then pick the nearest swamp and walk right through it. In other words, unless you're redlining, I recommend skipping this one.

Lovequist Loop, 1 mile loop by Rocky Gorge Scenic Area -- June 16, 2012

Perfect little loop trail around a pond. Immediately next to a tourist spot, which makes it ideal for those who would like to enjoy nature but stay close to civilization. Easy trek.

Fletcher's Cascades, 3.5 miles roundtrip -- June 17, 2012

Spent Father's day with MadRiver and Susan. Visited this waterfall -- it was nice to venture a little deeper into the woods.

Moose Brook State Park -- all the trails -- June 18, 2012

With every blood-thinning day that goes by, the chances of an embolism greatly diminish (so says my medical team). Since I've been given the okay to keep getting out there, I decided to go solo yesterday. Still, I wanted to stick to relatively easy trails and stay within cell reception of various folks who are looking after me. Moose Brook State Park fit the day's bill, so I redlined all the trails (4-5 miles). Leg felt great until I got back to the car, then it swelled up on the way home (to be expected).

Within a week or so, I should be able to pursue most White Mountain trails. The chances of a clot breaking off are already extremely minimal. What I need to be careful of, now and forever, is falling, since I'll bleed and bruise easily.

That's the scoop -- next week, I hope to have a traditional trip report with photos of the girls enjoying a mountaintop.

I know I'm not the only one out there dealing with temporary and/or long-term health issues while hiking. Hmmm...maybe I should start a group...

Good for you for still getting out there and doing what you can do! Scary situation for sure......glad to hear you and your Dr.'s have it under control!
On another note...........church pond loop just got moved to the list of trails to hike in a severe drought.......or in waders! :)

Sorry to hear about your health issues and glad it's well taken care of

Both of my parents were on Coumadin long-term for stroke and heart issues and I think the external bleeding issues were overblown, neither got more than minor cuts but the bleeding seemed to stop OK

More significant issues were arranging for frequent blood tests and having to reduce/stop Coumadin before even minor stuff like dental cleanings - each practicioner saw it from their angle and wanted you to have your troubles on the other guy's watch

Church Pond Loop wasn't bad when the bridges were there and it wasn't bug season, note that it's also part of a ski loop off Nanamockamuk?? Yesterday I talked to some AT hikers from 2005 who are back this year and had just met up with a guy who was banned from this site.

Last edited:
Nice trip report! I'm glad to hear you're able to enjoy the trails while dealing with the DVT. Kudos for forging ahead and being such an inspiration. I took the Church Pond trail in October a couple years ago and found it in the same condition, but it was such a charming destination that I didn't mind the mud. For me, it's not the average White Mountain trail/destination, with the swamp flora/fauna. And it's absolutely crawling with moose, if you wouldn't mind seeing one on the way.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64428086@N06/7376524894/in/photostream/

I have been to Church Pond a number of times since the bog bridges went in (about 1985). Have seen Moose 3 times including once when one walked through our campsite. Have a great picture of the pond with reflecting mountains in my office. Now it has become an impossible mud hole going in (I gave up on it in 2009). I hope they relace them at some point as it is real gem. By the way do not try loop from other direction--the mud problem is worst.

Good luck with your blood, I am on the thiner as well because of a heart condition.

Sorry to hear about your health issues and glad it's well taken care of

Both of my parents were on Coumadin long-term for stroke and heart issues and I think the external bleeding issues were overblown, neither got more than minor cuts but the bleeding seemed to stop OK

More significant issues were arranging for frequent blood tests and having to reduce/stop Coumadin before even minor stuff like dental cleanings - each practicioner saw it from their angle and wanted you to have your troubles on the other guy's watch

Thanks, Roy. Glad to hear the external bleeding issues might be overblown, since I tend to scrape myself up a lot during hikes. Wouldn't want to leave a bloody trail all over the mountains. :) The frequent blood tests are very much a PITA, but, thankfully, temporary. I do look forward to not having to go to the hospital every other day.

I have been to Church Pond a number of times since the bog bridges went in (about 1985). Have seen Moose 3 times including once when one walked through our campsite. Have a great picture of the pond with reflecting mountains in my office. Now it has become an impossible mud hole going in (I gave up on it in 2009). I hope they relace them at some point as it is real gem. By the way do not try loop from other direction--the mud problem is worst.

Good luck with your blood, I am on the thiner as well because of a heart condition.

Dave -- first, thanks, and I wish you well too. As for the bog bridges...1985?? That explains a lot. I don't think they've been worked on since then, lol. I'm sure the trail was gorgeous when they were first built.

Nice trip report! I'm glad to hear you're able to enjoy the trails while dealing with the DVT. Kudos for forging ahead and being such an inspiration. I took the Church Pond trail in October a couple years ago and found it in the same condition, but it was such a charming destination that I didn't mind the mud. For me, it's not the average White Mountain trail/destination, with the swamp flora/fauna. And it's absolutely crawling with moose, if you wouldn't mind seeing one on the way.:D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64428086@N06/7376524894/in/photostream/

Thanks -- I agree, the knoll is a lovely place. Just wish the journey wasn't so awful! We didn't see any moose...then again, we were too busy dodging rusty nails to notice much of anything. :D Thanks for sharing your picture.

On another note...........church pond loop just got moved to the list of trails to hike in a severe drought.......or in waders! :)

Michelle, thanks. Yes, I suppose Church Pond might be okay enough during a severe drought. Just mind the nails.

Thanks, Mohamed. :)

Happy to report that my coumadin levels are where they should be and I no longer have to visit the hospital every day. I can also resume my usual hiking, since risk of embolism at this point is minimal at best. Woo-hoo! :D

It's really interesting to read reports about small hikes to take a break of all these big 48 peaks ! Good luck with your health. I've read your book and you and Alex have been (and still are) an inspiration in my quest for the 4000 footers.

Julie

Thank you, Julie.

The girls and I enjoy hiking the 4Ks, and they will always hold a special place in our hearts -- but do you know what we now enjoy the most? The realization that almost every trail we hike in the Whites is wonderful. We visited Bridal Veil Falls today and swam by the cascades. We've spent tons of time on peaks that are less than 4000 feet. We've climbed slides and rock-scrambles, we've checked out touristy trails, and we've found more than a few isolated swimming holes. New Hampshire has so much to offer! I'm glad we began everything with the 4000 Footers, but I'm equally glad we have plenty of time ahead of us to explore everything else. :)

Hope to see you out there sometime! Good luck on your 4K quest -- looking forward to reading your trip reports!

Your a brave women and a great mother.

I think climbine mountains has a carry over to life. You learn to deal with adversity and challanging situations while still go foward.

Thank you, Julie.

The girls and I enjoy hiking the 4Ks, and they will always hold a special place in our hearts -- but do you know what we now enjoy the most? The realization that almost every trail we hike in the Whites is wonderful. We visited Bridal Veil Falls today and swam by the cascades. We've spent tons of time on peaks that are less than 4000 feet. We've climbed slides and rock-scrambles, we've checked out touristy trails, and we've found more than a few isolated swimming holes. New Hampshire has so much to offer! I'm glad we began everything with the 4000 Footers, but I'm equally glad we have plenty of time ahead of us to explore everything else. :)

Hope to see you out there sometime! Good luck on your 4K quest -- looking forward to reading your trip reports!

I totally agree with you about the magic of the New Hampshire. I think that what's really important is not bagging as much peaks as possible but to take the time to appreciate every walk, even the little. That's the real love of the mountains and nature :)

Hope to see you on the trail !

Julie