Smarts Mtn "traverse" 9/20/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
IMG2655-L.jpg

Last Thursday was an excellent day to Smarts Mtn. We went up Lambert Ridge trail, and descended a new way for me...the Daniel Doan Trail. I've heard conflicting reports on this one...the top part is very wet and slick, and the lower part a gorgeous walk in the woods. More on that later...but first, the hike up!

Lambert Ridge was about what I expected: Steep in some areas, but quite doable, to go along with great views along the way.

First view...looking at Dartmouth Skiway
IMG2644-L.jpg

IMG2650-L.jpg

That first view of Smarts always makes it look like its "forever away"
IMG2659-L.jpg

Foliage attempting to kick into gear...still dull, though the season is young.
IMG2661-L.jpg

Neat little area of mushrooms-zoomed in, growing on a tree
IMG2669-L.jpg

There were no speed records set on this hike. Beforehand, I estmated a 4 hour ascent, an hour on the top, and 3 hours down. We made it to the summit in about 3.5 hours, so we were running ahead of schedule.

Great view from the Green Mtns
IMG2675-L.jpg

New windmills!
IMG2681-L.jpg

Nice view out towards Cardigan
IMG2685-L.jpg

North to Cube and its Kodak Ledges
IMG2694-L.jpg

Moosilauke!
IMG2695-L.jpg

I love how you can see the Bonds from here, along with Mt Washington
IMG2700-L.jpg

Cont in a min

Part 2, a few more

One more parting shot, one of my fav views, looking down along the AT, AScutney and beyond
IMG2713-L.jpg

IMG2716-L.jpg

Now, for the Daniel Doan trail: The top 1/3 was....terrible. Heavy rain for 2 nights before made it feel like the trail had ice on every rock or root. Because of this, I took no pictures on that section. I just wanted to make it down without breaking my ankle. After this section, you could tell we had reached a part where maintainers had been working, as the condition drastically improved. Plus the steep grade lessened, and it became a much more gentle walk in the woods.

IMG2725-L.jpg

The brook was lovely too, but I didn't really take any good pics of it. So my synopsis-The Daniel Doan trail is a tale of two trails...tough on the top, gentle and beautiful in the lower sections. If I ever hike it again, I will go UP.

We finished the hike around 6:30pm, about 8 hours after we started. It was a great hike, and now I have "redlined" all the official Smarts Mtn trails.

http://grouseking.smugmug.com/New-H...s-Mtn/25501369_GhM5Mp#!i=2101512684&k=mXTn5Ct

Hope you enjoyed!

Hi Grouse,
Nice pics! We were up on Cube a couple weeks ago and Smarts sure looked nice! Quick question since you've hiked all the trails. Can a loop be made up Doan Tail and down another is is that trail strictly up and back? Also is there a link someplace for info on Smarts Mountain trails?
Thanks!

Hi Grouse,
Nice pics! We were up on Cube a couple weeks ago and Smarts sure looked nice! Quick question since you've hiked all the trails. Can a loop be made up Doan Tail and down another is is that trail strictly up and back? Also is there a link someplace for info on Smarts Mountain trails?
Thanks!

Hey! You can make a loop, if you don't mind doing a little bit of a road walk...though its a back road so it is almost like a trail anyways. Drive to the Daniel Doan trailhead on Mousley Brook Rd, ascend Daniel Doan to the top, then go down the "J" trail (which is also the AT) down to Quintown Rd. take a left onto Quintown rd, past the gate and continue until you reach Mousley Brook Rd. Take a left there and follow the road back to your car. That would be a nice, quiet loop.

For a loop with more views, go up Lambert Ridge trail(AT) to the summit, then descend the same trail for 1/2 mile till the Ranger Trail. Bear left onto the Ranger trail and take it back to the car. Both the Lambert Ridge trail and Ranger trail come out at the same parking lot. Hope this helps!