Snow conditions for Mt. Blue (Maine) in March

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Bear

Reaction score
I know a surveyor who may be interested in doing a high grade survey on Mt. Blue (the one in Weld Maine) on March 19th.

The old tower may nix his effort since it would be using surveyor grade GPS, but what about snow? Would there be snow on the ground there on March 19th? Assuming he got park permission, would a snowmobile be able to make it up (obviously in the dead of winter it clearly would).

Thanks

Snow

March can be one of the snowiest months of the year in western Maine. I would guess you will have plenty of snow.

I've been up there when the access gate was closed and open,but not in winter.The people at the house at the gate seemed used to cars parking there.The other time I saw atver's at the tr parking lot on a trail and snomo trails crossed the access rd also.I would guess one could snomo right to the trailhead parking lot at the end of the access rd

Not sure if this is related to the effort Papa Bear mentions, but the old tower, footings, and associated area will be cleared in the spring. This will be to make way for a new radio tower complex.

A new fire tower look-alike structure will be erected with a full cab. Inside the cab there will be microwave dishes hidden within. Attached to the outside of the cab will be the antennas. The cab itself will not be accessible to the public, but just below the cab, there will be an observation deck.

The last time I was there a while ago, there was a benchmark in one of the fire tower footings. It was the one that had the "1931" carved into it if I remember correctly. It's not clear what will happen to it.

Bill