Snow Mtn (Chain of Ponds) 6/14/15

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdways01

Reaction score
Parking: 45°17.006'N, 70°40.262'W
Miles: 7.82
Total Elevation: 2,201 feet
Total Time: 4:08

I drove out to the parking area yesterday, but realized on the way that I didn't bring enough food/water (and didn't have a filter). So I used it to make sure I knew where I was going instead. The road was in great shape and could easily be done with a car. Coming back this morning to hike though, there was a tree down across the road about 0.5 miles from the parking area. Not wanting to park here, I got out my leatherman and used the saw to trim branches enough so I could drive over/around with my wife's Rav4. I plan to be back in the area in a couple weeks with family and will try to come back and see if the tree still needs cleanup.

I headed up the ATV trail from the parking area. A sign here now says no ATVs though. I followed this past the 3rd bridge. Just before the 3rd bridge is an opening on the trail where a small path leads into the woods (if you go straight instead of turn like the trail does). There was a very small cairn here, but the only tracks I saw headed out it were moose tracks. I don't know where this actually goes. After the 3rd bridge, there is a turn in the trail where there is a yellow arrow pointing left for the ATVs/Snowmobiles. There is a small cairn on a large rock here. This marks an old ATV trail (now blocked) that looks more like a small brook bed (it had running water today). I followed this until the ATV tracks (more faint) went to the right at a small cairn. This was to avoid a patch of blown over trees in the trail/brook.

This comes to a skidder road from past logging with a cairn at the edge of the trees. I went straight at the intersection here towards the pond. Past info I used mentioned turning right at a yellow sign saying "Snow Mtn Trail" which I hadn't seen yet. My GPS also had what it thought was the trail showing as starting out this way. This path eventually became quite wet. I followed it past where my GPS thought the trail was and I still hadn't seen any yellow sign. I was also seeing no sign of hikers coming this far either. I went back to the skidder path and headed left (right as you come up). I decided I would see if this went the direction I needed and I could eventually find the trail. This does go where you need and crosses the trail at a height of land where there is some flagging and a small cairn.

I turned up the trail and it was easy to follow. Some maintenance has been done to remove the larger trees that are down. There is one small rock scramble with little protection on your left. If you aren't comfortable with it, there is a bypass forming on the right. Any potentially confusing spots on the path had flagging to help you navigate it. The summit register is in a small wooden box on a tree at the old cabin on the summit. The fire tower was rugged enough to hold me (a larger hiker) without any worries. It's just tight climbing it with the ladder so close to the frame. The view from the top was great though.

On the way down I wanted to see where the trail actually came out near the pond, but I didn't want to use the time as I still had another hike planned for the day. Maybe another time I can check it out. It obviously still sees some traffic.