Snowshoes/Crampon

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

percious

Reaction score
On my search for a step-in binding compatible with my beloved Tubbs I ran across the following patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4620375.pdf

Basically, the crampon is attached to the snowshoe on a pivot with a quick release mechanism. Wow. This is something I have been thinking about making forever, but could not solve the quick-release problem, and I did not want to mutilate a good set of crampons and a good set of snowshoes to get my desired result. I may have to look into this more in the future.

-percious

You know I had the same idea, and I'm sure a lot of others have too. It would be great to have a snowshoe where the "deck" portion was easily released from the "crampon", so you would have one piece of equipment that would easily switch from deep snow to ice conditions.

I think the ideal embodiment would be something more like a strap binding (like the BD Contact Strap), so you could use it with non-rigid boots as well as rigid boots.

I have a pair of BD Contact Strap crampons, and a pair of Northern Lites Elite snowshoes that have a great light weight deck, but a poor binding and crampon. I'm planning on trying to mate the two this winter. (But I guess I won't be able to sell the idea now!)

Thanks for the info!

TCD

I almost started a thread about a similar subject the other day, but didn't have the time.
I came across the newest member of Kahtoola's family the other day. The Flight System is basically an overboot which can be used with trail runners or other similar shoes, has integrated crampons on the bottom and a snap-on snowshoe deck.

percious said:
On my search for a step-in binding compatible with my beloved Tubbs I ran across the following patent:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4620375.pdf

Basically, the crampon is attached to the snowshoe on a pivot with a quick release mechanism. Wow. This is something I have been thinking about making forever, but could not solve the quick-release problem, and I did not want to mutilate a good set of crampons and a good set of snowshoes to get my desired result. I may have to look into this more in the future.

-percious
See the thread which Mohamed rejuvenated on the Prater binding and an update on that concept - looks rather similar to your link.

Personally, I've found with a good binding system on my Tubbs the Viper crampon works well (almost too well in some conditions). Alas - I don't know of the Viper's aftermarket availablity now that they've moved to China.

Kahtoola Flight system looks pretty neat.

Most of my trips involve skiing or ice climbing at some point, so I need to wear the specific footwear for that. But if I'm on a "snowshoe only" trip, I usually wear Neos Navigator overshoes over trail runners. That's warm and dry in almost any conditions (Navigators have 11mm of closed cell foam insulation).

The Kahtoola system would be very good for those kinds of trips. Things I wonder about:

Is the level of insulation up to what's required for walking vs. running, and for the Adirondacks (-20F) vs. the Sierras (+20F)?

How's the water leakage at the top, and through the rear placed zipper (Neos has an integrated gaiter)?

How flexible or rigid is the sole plate? Too rigid could compromise the advantage of the trail runners, too flexible could compromise the stability of the points and the security of attachment to the snowshoe deck.

I see that OGE in Burlington is a retailer. I'll be up there in November, maybe I'll take a look...

TCD