Snowy Mtn. (adk) - Partial ski?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobK

Reaction score
I would like to do Snowy this winter and was wondering if the first 2 miles can be skied. In reading the ADK guide it appears to gain little (except for one brief section) for a while. Unless the trail is narrow & twisty, I would much prefer to ski in (and even more so - out!) and don't mind carrying the snowshoes (and crampons). I do have skins if that helps. Since the book also says the trail "opens up" well into the trip, if I was to skin up once it got steep can I ski down through the trees?

I did a "ski in and switch to snowshoes" last Sunday for Vanderwhacker Mtn and really enjoyed that. (Perfect weather and awesome views - including Snowy) Felt sorry for the people I passed walking while I was skiing in - and again after I passed them while descending knowing I could ski out the last 4 miles.

I did search the forums and found little (on Snowy mtn. vs. snowy conditions).

i'll let you know tomorrow. you've inspired me to do this trip!!! i picked this as one of the trips i wanted to do this winter but as things have turned out the snow just hasn't been there.

e/ schlimmer hit the nail on the head. the last time i looked over this trail on a map it seemed pretty reasonable to ski untill the last mile or so.... i've done the hike many times and the forrest is pretty open. the snow that is up there now should be great for conditions.

mabey i'll see you tomorrow!!

Did the Snowy ski/shoe trip on 2-27

I did ski in about 2 miles before switching to skis. See Trip report in Trail Conditions section. The skiing was fine with all powder, few visible rocks and only 1 tree to step over. On the way in I walked up for the first 25 yards above the register, and for perhaps 50 yards going up hill after the brook crossing about 1 mile in (walked down that too – over 50 yrs old and look to do lots more of this!).

Any skis would work in the powder but I had taken my wider waxless on the assumption than the climbing and descending would be easier. There was a small stream crossing maybe 2 miles in with visible continuous steep beyond that prompted me to take the skis off and switch to snowshoes. I could have climbed with skins easily for probably much of the next mile but descending through the narrow trail and fairy dense trees was beyond my comfort level (particularly solo). I did see periodic ski tracks made by someone else for about perhaps .5 mile above where I switched over.

Of the 6 other people I saw that day, only 2 had skis on and they (looked liked dad and 10 year old son) were on the lower section. Two I met on top said they regretted not skiing in as I did.

The view was spectacular, perhaps one of the best I’ve seen from a tower anywhere. Not only were the High peaks clearly visible, but there were peaks from the central and southern Dacks obvious from the tower. The ledge just below the tower is a memorable spot with terrific views of Indian Lake and (today anyway) a great spot to lounge for a bit in the sunshine before descending. The drop from the summit was rapid and exhilarating with some glissading (some of it intentional). A great trip.