Some pics for C&C

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillK

Reaction score
I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend. Finally, some great weather! Some pics below for C&C. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks! For full high-resolution shots, please goto the album.

Lesson learned this weekend:
With my 50mm 1.4 lens, (maybe all lenses) portraits tend to come out soft with higher f-stop settings, even when focusing directly on the person. I was trying to achieve DOF in the portraits, but it appears that a sacrifice in sharpness is made when doing so. (Is this true?) The lack of sharpness could also be due to camera shake exaggerated by the slower shutter speeds when using the higher f-stop settings. I'm still not certain.

Image #1

Image #2

Image #3

Image #4

Slideshow

Album

Last edited:
I'll comment on the engine + Washington photo. First off, I like the photo of the engine. It's bright, colorful, and sets off beautifully against the green surroundings. I think what you were trying to capture is a great subject. However, it's not alone. My eye cannot focus on both the engine and Big George at the same time. I.e., there are two subjects fighting for my attention.

You could:

Pull back a little so Mt. Washington is more of the subject with the train less so.

Get rid of George all together - I know, it ruins the composition of the two.

Not that you could do a thing about it, but the white building is distracting. Actually, perhaps you could have gotten closer and lower such that the building is completely hidden behind the train, and the stack is right up there with the observatory. Getting the engine and the mountain pretty much guarantees the building is in the shot too. As Grumpy would say, it is a factual record untouched by Photoshop ;)

It would have been nicer if the summit wasn't shaded by clouds -- which is a tall order I know.

Tim

[EDIT]: http://bkimura.phanfare.com/album/355119#imageID=22066301 is what I was thinking, I don't know if it was possible to get the whole train, George, and no buildings.

Last edited:
Good feedback Tim. Thanks. What do you think about this shot? I think this one tends to put more emphasis on the train and less on Mt. Washington.

Train

That is more what I was thinking (I edited my previous post after looking through the entire album.) I think there is a 'perfect shot' in there somewhere, which includes the train, the summit, and lots of grass, and some blue sky and white puffy clouds. It may take hours (or days) and lots of shots to get it.

Monroe with day lilies is my favorite:

http://bkimura.phanfare.com/album/355119#imageID=22066285

The vertical is good too.

Tim

Last edited:
BillK said:
With my 50mm 1.4 lens, (maybe all lenses) portraits tend to come out soft with higher f-stop settings, even when focusing directly on the person. I was trying to achieve DOF in the portraits, but it appears that a sacrifice in sharpness is made when doing so. (Is this true?) The lack of sharpness could also be due to camera shake exaggerated by the slower shutter speeds when using the higher f-stop settings. I'm still not certain.
Most lenses are at their best around F8 or so. Higher F-stop increases the diffraction and smaller F-stop increases the aberation--take your choice...

I checked a review of the 50mm lens--it is reported to be fairly sharp.

I set the autofocus to center only. That way I can control what the autofocus is aimed at. (I have had pics where an "intelligent" autofocus chose the wrong object to focus on...)

Some camera bodies or body/lens combinations do tend to focus incorrectly. Perhaps this can be adjusted/fixed if it is your problem. I read a web article on checking this a while ago. It had targets designed to measure the effect, etc. Perhaps some searching will find it.

Camera motion will usually turn a point into a line and blur edges going in different directions in different amounts. Incorrect or soft focus will tend to make a point larger and blur edges in different directions equally. If you can find an appropriate features in your images, you might be able to diagnose the problem from the image. Also look at objects at different distances from the camera--you may be able to see if the focus was incorrect.

Raw color images on most digital cameras are also inherently soft. Each pixel on the sensor senses only one color and interpolation is used to estimate the missing colors at each pixel from the nearby pixels of the missing colors. (Look up Beyer Grid or Beyer Array.) This interpolation is a smoothing process and makes the images soft. In post-processing (either in the camera or in your computer), the last step before creating the JPEG should be a sharpening step. This restores some of the sharpness to the image, but also increases the noise. (If you have appropriate software, try playing with different sharpening parameters.) The XTi has degree of sharpening as one of its menu parameters. You might also try setting the camera on a tripod and taking the same picture at different degrees of sharpening.

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Doug. I just went back through all my portrait shots and almost all of them were taking with a shutter speed between 1/25-1/60. The sharpest portraits were done with 1/320 shutter speed and F/4.5 f-stop. Based on the reciprocal rule for shutter speed with my lens, (50mm * 1.6 = 1/80) most of the shots would have been prime candidates for camera shake, especially with me as the driver. I almost exclusively shoot using the center AF point with one-shot focus. I usually spot the center AF on one of the subject's eyes. Unfortunately for this hike I had forgotten my quick release mount for my tripod so all shots were taken free hand. The only sharpening I generally do is during the LR import process. I choose either the "Sharpen-Landscapes" or "Sharpen-Portraits" defaults. I need to perform some additional testing as I'm starting to question the AF. Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the only camera options that are ignored while shooting raw are color space, white balance, and picture style. Wouldn't the sharpness related settings pertain to picture style on the XTI? All my shots are taken raw BTW.

- Bill

BillK said:
Thanks Doug. I just went back through all my portrait shots and almost all of them were taking with a shutter speed between 1/25-1/60. The sharpest portraits were done with 1/320 shutter speed and F/4.5 f-stop. Based on the reciprocal rule for shutter speed with my lens, (50mm * 1.6 = 1/80) most of the shots would have been prime candidates for camera shake, especially with me as the driver.
If you want to check lens sharpness take a picture of a scene with a very small high-contrast object (I use a shiny screw on the front of my shed). Use a tripod and take the pic at a range of F-stops. Camera motion should not be an issue, so you should be able to guesstimate how sharp the lens is and its sharpest range of F-stops. (There are targets for measuring sharpness, but it can get complicated if you want to do a professional job. The above is a simple method.)

You can also check your ability to hold the camera steady by taking the same pic at a range of shutter speeds. You could also practice the same way. It isn't hard, just takes a bit of care. After a while, it will become second nature.

I almost exclusively shoot using the center AF point with one-shot focus. I usually spot the center AF on one of the subject's eyes.
Good, that elminates one source of error. (Seems to me I have made this suggestion before...)

Unfortunately for this hike I had forgotten my quick release mount for my tripod so all shots were taken free hand.
In contrast, I rarely carry my tripod and have learned to shoot freehand... Shooting a stationary object at 1/FL isn't hard unless it is windy. Then you prop yourself and wait for a lull.

The only sharpening I generally do is during the LR import process. I choose either the "Sharpen-Landscapes" or "Sharpen-Portraits" defaults.
Presumably those are somone's guesses of the average amount of sharpening required. In my (somewhat limited) fiddling with sharpening, it appears that the best amount can vary with the picture. I'll bet that the defaults err on the side of minimal sharpening--too much is more offensive (noisy) than too little for most viewers.

I need to perform some additional testing as I'm starting to question the AF.
In the above tests, you can try both manual focus and AF. If manual does better than AF, that is an indication that you have a problem... Another indication would be that you AF on a known object and when you look at the image, you find the in-focus zone to be closer or farther away than the object.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but the only camera options that are ignored while shooting raw are color space, white balance, and picture style. Wouldn't the sharpness related settings pertain to picture style on the XTI? All my shots are taken raw BTW.
Raw is the equivalent of a negative--it is exactly what the sensor sees. Focus, focal length, aperture, shutter speed, and ISO all affect this. Everything else happens later. The XTi can save both raw and JPEG files simultaneously. Try saving both and comparing your postprocessed images with the JPEG. If you can't beat the JPEG, just use it...* (BTW, the JPEGs are generally pretty good--I often just use them.)

I don't use the styles, so I am not up on the details, but I do know that they do affect aperture and shutter speed. Don't know if they affect the post processing. (I always use P, Av, Tv, or M modes and if I want something specific, I just set it Remember, I started in the manual camera days...) Probably more details in the manual.

* Actually, given that you seem unsure of yourself on a number of different issues, you might consider just shooting JPEGs and concentrating on the issues of using the camera. (Or if you save both, you can focus on the JPEGs now and save the raw files for later or for specific cases where there is something obvious that you can fix.)

Doug

Last edited:
BillK said:
... With my 50mm 1.4 lens, (maybe all lenses) portraits tend to come out soft with higher f-stop settings, even when focusing directly on the person. I was trying to achieve DOF in the portraits, but it appears that a sacrifice in sharpness is made when doing so. (Is this true?) The lack of sharpness could also be due to camera shake exaggerated by the slower shutter speeds when using the higher f-stop settings. I'm still not certain.

I doubt that diffraction is a significant contributor to loss of sharpness in your 50mm lens. Even at f/16, the diameter of the lens opening is about 1/8 inch -- far larger than the pinhole that would cause diffraction in most cases. I've never experienced what I thought was any noticeable sharpness loss at smaller apertures on a 50mm lens.

My guess is that you nailed it with the camera movement suspicion. Camera movement is the leading cause of unsharp images, in my experience.

G.

I agree with Grmupy that your problem seems to be shutter speed. You shouldn't have to worry about diffraction with that lens. You should be able to shoot up around f22 with no problems.

People have already covered some of my thoughts on the photos. One thing that I will add is that while you want to avoid empty space at the top (or any area) of the photos, you also don't want to crop them too close. On images 3 + 4, the top of the mountain is so close to the top of the photo that if you were to mat it and frame it the mat would most likely touch the top of the mountain and it wouldn't look good. Same thing with the right wheel and the right edge on #4. And the tree cut off in the upper right of #3.

Overall, you are showing improvement. Keep it up.

- darren

I think that it is really great to post your own photos and invite the opinions of others. It can make one a much better photographer. I have yet to read any other responses.

Pic 1: Nice idea. Branches in the lower left are distraction. But otherwise, the comp is nice. The comp brings out the depths of the valley and has an airy feel about it.

Pic 2: OK, looks like it was shot from a bridge??? If you see something that you really like, shoot from multi angles. You may capture something suprising!

Pics 3&4: Be careful of composition here. Your eye is going to be drawn to the brightest part of the photo (Lower right on Pic#3, and center on pic #4, right behind subject) Multiple angles may help here. On #4 you may be able to ket down on the ground and shoot up at the loco.

KEEP SHOOTING ! ! !