Sony Digital 8 Repair?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone know a local (southern NH preferably) repair shop which could look at my 10 year old Sony camcorder? I've not yet made the jump to hi-def throughout the house but I don't want to buy a non-hi-def replacement.

The symptom is that the video playback jumps / skips a bit, even on old recordings that it previously played just fine. On occasion it has gotten better when either connecting or disconnecting the power cord which makes me doubt it is a dirty head problem, but I'll chase down a head cleaner in the mean time.

Thx,
Tim

Anyone know a local (southern NH preferably) repair shop which could look at my 10 year old Sony camcorder? I've not yet made the jump to hi-def throughout the house but I don't want to buy a non-hi-def replacement.

The symptom is that the video playback jumps / skips a bit, even on old recordings that it previously played just fine. On occasion it has gotten better when either connecting or disconnecting the power cord which makes me doubt it is a dirty head problem, but I'll chase down a head cleaner in the mean time.

Thx,
Tim

Tim, similar thing just started happening to mine (Sony Minicam 403....not sure of the exact name/model, got it in '05, recording media is mini-DVDs). Anyway, recently I noticed the playback starts out slo-mo for about a second or two and then kicks into the right speed. So for me it's actually a recording issue (maybe sluggish motor???), because I playback the dvd on a tv-dvd player or computer, not just on the unit itself.

It's not like I have ulimited disposable income, but man those canon HD units for ~$500 are pretty sweet. That B&H catalog is a killer.

I have subsequently learned that as these are obsolete (go figure ;)) the starting cost for repair is at least $300 anywhere you go. I invested $12 in an 8mm head cleaner which arrived yesterday from the one remaining manufacturer somewhere in Taiwan, I believe, and will try that. Otherwise I suspect it's EOL for that camera and time to buy a new one.

Tim

Can see the head cylinder when you open the tape door? If so it should be cleanable. I used to repair VHS tapes and machines at a local store until blockbuster and Netflix came along. PM me for cleaning directions, and/or if you are ever in the Peterborough area, let me know and I can look at it. Good luck with the head cleaner, they are only so so at best as they are abbrasive and don't really clean the heads.

Good luck!