South Dix from West Mill

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddy

Reaction score
Hi, Any one familiar with the approach to Dix's from West Mill brook side? Specifically I'm interested in the trail head parking situation( seems like people were parking at 87 rest stop, but there must be other longer term parking availble), also is there a good approach to south Dix from this side and are there views of east Dix from south Dix? Topographically the valley east of south Dix looks very interesting, am I right?

Heads up, Buddy - I hear incoming. Use of the names East Dix and South Dix is ... well ... frowned upon by some around here. ;)

This is an approach and an area that has intrigued me for a while, mostly because I believe it has not been used much.

Last winter there was a group that did part of the range by this route as a daytrip. It is doable, but you need to do your homework (they used GPS). There were some who followed their trail in the days after it was broken. As I remember, the woods were open and very passable. It makes for a long day however.

There are parking areas as indicated on the Topos / ADK trail maps.

Keep me posted on your plans and timing.
Bob Brainard

Park on Rte 9

Parking is not permitted at the Rest Area, but it only adds 1mile each way to park at the designated trailhead on Rte 9.

South Dix is approachable from West Mill Brook. There are views of East Dix(Grace) from South Dix (Carson).

A group of us did the Dix Range from West Mill Brook by spotting a car at Round Pond. Makes a nice loop.

Enjoy!

West Mill approach

I know last winter a bunch of groups hiked from the rest area. (It saves the extra mileage from Rte. 9) However, in the spring the state troopers made it known that this approach was frowned upon - ostensibly because of the increased traffic and/or need for parking at the rest area.

I've done this approach to the Dixes in the spring/summer a couple of times - when you can drive in from Rte. 9 a mile or so to get to the trailhead.