Southernmost NE 100 highest in VT??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captain

Reaction score
Hola amigos...couple questions for you. I'm taking a friend backpacking for her first time in a couple weeks (22-23)...I have to get to southern VT (just north of brattelboro) for some business some weekend, so I was thinking of combining the two. So which of the NE 100 highest in VT is the furthest south?? Also, if there are any other HIGHLY recommended weekend long backpacks in southern/central VT, I'd love any suggestions. Cheers,

There are quite a few weekend backpacks that can be done in Southern VT . . . the Long Trail/AT runs through the southern section of the state and has numerous shelters and is relatively flat making it an ideal section for a beginner. I don't have my books in front of me but I can give you details later if you need them. A look at the Long Trail Guide or the guide for the Southern NE AT will help you as well.

sli74

I don't know what's on the 100 highest list, but I'll chime in with a suggestion with my favorite AT hikes in Vermont. I think a great beginner backpacking trip would be to hike up Stratton Mt on the AT and spent the night at Stratton Pond (there is a shelter nearby and tent sites near the pond. Both are pay sites -- $6 per person, though I'm not sure how early in the season they start collecting.)

The hike is seven miles one-way if you start from Kelley Stand Road in West Wardsboro. Stratton has views all the way to the Whites on a clear day from its fire tower. The initial miles are definitely uphill, but not terribly difficult. Stratton Pond is also very beautiful and a great spot. One caveat: it's a popular spot so it's not the place to go for solitude.

The trip up Glastenbury Mountain was another of my favorites... but it a 10-mile uphill hike and is a lot more challenging.

- Ivy

I second the Stratton Trip. I usually bring people new to backpacking there every year. If you have enough time, hike over to Bourne pond. The shelter and privy are good, it doesnt cost $6, and the tent sites offer more privacy if that is what you are looking for. Both Stratton and Borne Ponds offer good swimming, but it may be a tad cold this year.

I like Glastonbury too, but it is definately more challenging. I think the views from Stratton are better as well.

Have a great hike.

-percious

list...

I would like a decent amount of solitude...I don't need total isolation from humans, but I don't want to see groups of people if possible...this may be difficult on a weekend...anyway, here's the list of NE 100 Highest in VT:

Mt Abraham
Camels Hump
Mt Ellen
Killington
Mansfield

Big Jay
Breadloaf
Dorset Peak
Equinox
Jay Peak
Mendon Peak
Pico Peak
Straton
Wilson

For a little clarity...my friend is a moderate hiker, just never been backpacking. We prefer a tent site (does not necessarily need to be established) to a shelter. Thanks for the suggestions so far!!

The answer to the question is Stratton. (two "t"s).

Equinox, Dorset, Mendon, Killington and Pico are all in the same area so multiples of them are possible. Mendon is a bushwhack so save that for another time.

Pb

Is the trail to Bourne Pond open? When I hiked that area last September, there were signs indicating that the trail to Bourne Pond was closed due to major blowdowns. (Another hiker said he tried was curious & tried to get down the trail but it was too difficult so he turned back.) Anyone know if it's been cleared?

- Ivy

From GMC site

This is still their current post:

Portions of Lye Brook Trail Closed

The Lye Brook Trail that links Stratton Pond and Bourn Pond The Lye Brook Trail is an east-west trail linking Stratton and Bourn Ponds. A portion of that trail is impassable, a distance of about 300 yards. Hikers should make new plans if they had intended to travel between the two ponds. We are still assessing the damage and will hopefully have the trail cleared sometime this fall. Further questions can be directed to the Manchester Ranger District, (802) 362-2307.

I'll be out there over Memorial Day weekend. I'll be checking it out for myself. Want an update?

I want an update!!! I was planning on hiking that route end of June, and if it is passable, I still want to do it. I am no stranger to blow-downs, having hiked Macomb this year.

The blowdown is still there, and is pretty rough looking. I can email pix to anyone who wants to see them. The FS is in no big hurry to clean it up, and they're not letting the local GMC club in to do it either. I think the GMC may want to use chain saws, and it's wilderness, so the FS won't let 'em near it. I hiked out there in the fall, it's a pretty impressive blowdown!

Thanks, Big Rambler

Can you tell me approx. how far down the trail from Stratton Pond is the blow down? I'm trying to gauge the feasiblity of going for it (the real question being: how familiar am I with the surrounding area).

Many Thanks

Re: Thanks, Big Rambler

Fox said:
Can you tell me approx. how far down the trail from Stratton Pond is the blow down? I'm trying to gauge the feasiblity of going for it (the real question being: how familiar am I with the surrounding area).

Many Thanks

My guess is it's half a mile west from Stratton Pond. It's only about 1.2 miles between Stratton and Bourne Ponds. It looks pretty gnarly. You can access Bourne from the Branch Pond Tr., either from the Kelly Stand Rd., or a little north on the LT past Stratton Pond where the Branch Pond Tr. intersects with the LT.

My understanding is that the USFS is dragging their feet on purpose, to limit impact on Bourne a little, it's been getting hammered in the past few years. YMMV on that though, last years Stratton Pond caretaker told me that.