Sparkling Foliage Along Carr Mtn

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Friday was such a perfect fall day. Skies were sunny, temps were crisp, and the wind was busy enough to remind you that winter is oh....like 2 months away. :D It was a great day for a hike, and on this day we chose Carr Mtn, a peak I've been meaning to hike for about 5 years now.

The drive up was nice, with the peaking and slightly pass peak foliage, and this was the same story when we got on the trail. Conditions were clearly past peak, but lots of leaves remained on the trees. The sunny conditions helped to enhance the beauty of the colors, and I was mesmerized by it all.

It helped to make the trip go by very quickly, even though we were taking our time. I hiked with Mattl, my sister, and their dog. It was his first hike, and he pretty much dragged Matt up the mountain. On the way down, he was better, and I think he'll be a great hiking companion before long.

Time to post a few pics along the way. First, foliage along both the Three Ponds Trail, and the Carr mtn trail.

Our hiking companion, Bentley. He actually looked at the camera!

Enough for the foliage for now. It was easily the best day I've photographed the leaves this year.

The Carr Mtn trail winds up the mountain and then as it enters the spruce/fir region, makes a series of switchbacks up to the long summit ridge. This was another beautiful section of trail, with what appeared to be some very old trees along the way. Plus, everything was coated in gorgeous green moss.

Ahh, moss everywhere. There were also several herd paths along the way, which crossed the trail a few times. The top of the trail was very wet and muddy. There were long and deep puddles and mud traps along the way, but we skirted along them, and then before we knew it, we were at the summit.

Continued in a min...

The summit and beyond.

Fairly decent views awaited us at the summit. It was clear and brisk, about 34 degrees, winds 10-15 mph. From certain places on the summit, there were some nice vistas.

You can figure out what's what.

Before long, it was getting a little chilly to hang out up there. So we decided to head down. It was a long trip back because of the wet and slippery trail. Plus, Bentley was kind of dragging Matt down the mtn, so we did our best to slowly head down. It really is a nice trail, esp with all the leaves turned. After a nice descent, we were back at Sucker Brook.

After this, it was just a few more minutes and then we were back at the car. Great hike had by all!!

One more pic....sunset at my apartment. The perfect end to a fabulous day.

The rest...
http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/568097194XRYPaw

Happy trails!

grouseking

Bentley did well on his first White Mountain hike. May have been a little overwhelming for him. It was a beautiful hike, nice pics.-Mattl

Great TR ! I have been wanting to do this peak for a LONG time as well.

After seeing this, well, just going to have to make it happen.

Awesome pics!!!!!!

As usual, you always manage to capture the best shots of any trip to the mountains. These are no exceptions, awesome all around!