Spring at Spaulding Mnt. Campsite

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kath

Reaction score
Will be hiking south on the AT in Maine from CVR. I was wondering if the spring at the Spaulding Mnt. Campsite is still a viable source of water. If anyone out there has been there recently, please advise.

I cant comment on the spring but will point out that the run from CVR to the next shelter south of Spaulding (Pleasant Ridge?) is not that unreasonable and gets you in great shape for an early morning traverse of the Saddlebacks. Alternatively there are good places to camp just before the crossing of Orbeton stream (old road and open hardwoods).

I discourage using Peakbaggers advice (sorry). The reason is that if you want to do Abraham, fantastic summit but 3.4 miles added RT from the AT. you don't want to add that extra distance to the Pleasant Ridge Shelter. That is a hell of a hike from CVR to Pleasant Ridge including spurs to Sugarloaf, Spaulding and Abraham. Can't comment on the water source at Spaulding Lean-to either.

Is it Pleasant Ridge or Poplar Ridge? I've done this section, and I'm SURE there is a Poplar Ridge Shelter in there. It has the most uncomfortable sleeping surface on the whole AT, from what I've heard...

I have stayed at the Spaulding Shelter. There is a very reliable spring about a tenth of a mile down a side trail from the shelter. As I recall, we didn't even filter it since it came from underground.

I'd highly recommend the side trip to Mt Abraham - it is a cool mountain - reminds me A LOT of the Presidential Range or Katahdin with all the rock-hopping to get to the summit and the unobscured 360 degree views!

Thats what happens when I rely on my memory for shelter names, too many are stored away from doing the AT.

The folks are correct, if you want to include Abraham as a side trip, the poplar ridge shelter is not a good option (but Orbeton stream could still be). I usually day hike Abraham so I didnt include this in my estimate.

As for the most uncomfortable sleeping floor on the AT at Poplar ridge, trust me this doesnt come close. The trick is that if you dont have a Thermarest type matress dont try to sleep on the floor. A regular foam mat doesnt cut it.

;) Thanks for the info. However, I left for the hike before I could get a reply from anyone. I took a gamble that there would be water at the Spaulding lean-to. Yes, the spring there is running just fine. I did filter it and it is very clear and tasted great! Tented there Saturday night. Will post a trip report on the trail conditions site. It was an outstanding weekend.