Spruce cones on Moriah, 7/9/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB

Reaction score
We only had the morning available for hiking, so got off to an early start at the Stoney Brook trailhead. Forecast was for clear and warm, but it had rained hard all night and the summits were still cool and shrouded in heavy fog.

Stoney Brook Trail is a really nice approach to the Carter-Moriah ridge. Lushly forested, pretty views of the brook, and mostly easy hiking along old logging ways. We came around a bend and came upon another hiker standing very still. Followed his gaze to a moose about 20 feet off the trail. I told Mia to sit and she plopped her butt right down. Good dog! I clipped her lead on just in case, but she seemed inclined to stay with me, laser focused on the big "thing." This was Mia's first moose sighting, and she behaved exactly as I had hoped, but she's only two so you never know... Would've liked to take some photos, but my camera was in "auto" mode and would probably flash, which seemed like a bad idea. Unfortunately I can't adjust the mode without first digging my reading glasses out of the pack. Sigh. So we contented ourselves watching the moose watch us back, until it eventually sauntered off deeper into the woods. Added some extra magic to an already nice hike.

Got to the ridge and headed north along a nice series of exposed ledges. There was some clearing to the south, but north was still completely socked in, maybe fifty foot visibility.

SDC10615.JPG

Looking south from Carter-Moriah Ridge

SDC10616.JPG

And looking north, where we're going...

Since the long view left a little to be desired I focused more on the immediate surroundings. Lots of wildflowers in the nooks of the exposed ledges, and carpets of one particular purple flower. The spruce trees seemed to be exploding with fresh cones, more abundant than I think I've seen in the past. They came in a broad spectrum of colors, from bright silver to deep purple. Should be a banner year for the squirrels and whatever other critters feast on the cones.

SDC10623.JPG

SDC10625.JPG

SDC10622.JPG

Obligatory summit photo... No views today, it was like standing inside the middle of a cotton ball.

The skys were trying to clear as we headed down, but it just wasn't a morning for big views. No worries, we'll be back!

You have posted a great comparison between Spruce cones (hanging down) in picture # 3 and Fir cones (pointing up) in picture #4.

I never remember which is which, so I looked it up: Spruce down / Fir up

Last edited:
excellent trip report. I will be doing that hike tomorrow I will keep in an eye out for that moose!!

Nice!

It's nice how hiking in the fog can make you focus on the little things that make us keep goin' back. Love the Stoney Brook Trail!

Thanks Papa for pointin' out the difference. Will try to keep it straight.

Good girl, Mia!

KDT

You have posted a great comparison between Spruce cones (hanging down) in picture # 3 and Fir cones (pointing up) in picture #4.

I never remember which is which, so I looked it up: Spruce down / Fir up

Thanks! I didn't realize until after I got home, looking at the pictures, that they were different trees. The spectrum of colors of the cones from white to blue to purple to red led me to believe they were all variations of the same tree while I was passing through.

Papa Bear...That could be a good mnemonic "Fur up" as in "don't get your dander up" But that might make me think of a cat and cat spruce (aka White spruce) but the white spruce the cones would point down...now I have really confused myself. Then again the balsam firs have the blisters on the trunk that give you a sticky mess on your hands but it smells heavenly.

But seriously the firs are having a good cone crop but the spruce cone crop is rather sparse from observations on a few trails. This could be a good sign for pine grosbeaks, and crossbills this winter. But it all depends on the cone crop throughout the North America.