Starr King and Waumbek (1-6-13)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raven

Reaction score
Brewster (Bruce) and I met at the lot on Rte 2 about 8 AM and followed closely behind a big group moving ahead of us. We were passing the old well before long and not long after that were putting on snowshoes, although more for traction than support. The trail was solid and very well tracked out. Bare boots would have been fine and I removed my snowshoes for the descent with no issues.

It was a beautiful day, and although it was socked in, the trees had been completely encased in a thick, frozen shroud of white. Everything was covered and the branches were clearly straining under the weight of the heavy snow.

We passed a few hikers who were on their way out, but generally just had a pleasant walk to the top of Starr King, where the view was still socked in, but that was not detracting in any way. The mile long ridge walk between Starr King and Waumbek is one of my favorite miles. Easy walking on a clearly defined ridge among some of the eeriest spruce trees in the north country. Love it. It did not disappoint this day either.

We met up with the group on Wambek, traded cameras for pics, traded stories of peaks, loves, and lists, and after a few snacks were on our way back down.

Here are a few pics that capture the snow-covered trees.

Bruce on the trail: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UfXNzzZii4Y/UO4tY9RdaxI/AAAAAAAAB2M/5DHgWfQ8QzM/s486/Bruce+on+Starr+King+1-6-13.JPG

Scott on the trail: Scott+on+Starr+King+1-6-13.JPG

Both of us on Waumbek: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-qY60NyjoTW4/UO4tTDAp35I/AAAAAAAAB2E/MHY3RMpi2-Y/s630/Bruce+and+Scott+on+Waumbek+%281-6-13%29.JPG

Thanks to Bruce for great company on a great hike in the North Country.

It was a true winter wonderland in the upper elevations in the softwoods, especially between the peaks. Inevitably with views like that, when I get back, I wish I’d taken more pictures. Thanks again for organizing this hike Scott. It was a great time.
Bruce

We were there on 1-12-13 Saturday and it was still beautiful although the snow was starting to melt off the trees and drip all over us. Still, a lovely hike. Like your pics.