Street & Nye, May 19

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete_Hickey

Reaction score
Hull, Quebec. Avatar: Wanna come out and play?
Rik, Eric, Julie and I met in the Loj parking at around 7:30. We looked at the tools, trying to decide what to bring. Should we bring the 2 man saw? It's big, unwieldy and hard to carry, but it really makes things easy on those big things. Fortunately, Rik found a way to lash it to his pack, and soon we were off.

We took out a few smaller things on the way to Indian Pass brook, reached the brook, took off our shoes and waded across. The water was cold. Ice cold. I walked a few tenths of a mile barefoot, hoping to dry and warm my feet, but they stayed cold.... by the way, Street and Nye is one of the nicest trails for barefoot hiking.

Before long, we came to the area flooded by the beaver dam. Several paths wandered through the woods avoiding the flooded trail. We went back and forth, and worked on the best one, which should now be the route that everyone takes. It goes through the highest ground, and should not get flooded.

Axing, sawing, and clipping along, we made our way up. It seems like we never walked more than 5 minutes without having to stop. We stopped at the junction for lunch, left the packs, and with only a saw, headed for Nye. MISTAKE. Much more blowdown than expected. After Nye, we headed to Street. We took more tools, but before long, the snow started getting deeper, and it was obvious that the winter route did not always follow the herd path. You can't clear the path when you're not sure where the path is. After some wandering and postholing, Julie & I turned back, but Rik and Eric headed on to the summit.

It was close to 6:00 when we got back to the cars. A quick beer then we said good-bye.

A few pictures here:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/trailwork2007/may19/welcome.html

Thanks for all the help, you three.

Oh yeah. In spite of it being a nice day and a holiday weekend, we did not see a single other hiker on the mountain.