Sunrise from Mt Clay

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Decided to enjoy a sunrise from the summit of my favorite "it doesn't count" mountain, Mt Clay. Drove up Friday evening, attempted (and failed) to sleep in the car for about an hour, did a final pack check, and hit the Jewell trail at about twenty minutes past midnight. Uneventful ascent until we got above treeline. The fog, and the effect the fog had on our headlamps' effectivity, made this portion of the Jewell trail interesting. We played that time-honored game of "I'll stand at this cairn, while you go find the next one, then yell to me." Lather-rinse-repeat. The jagged, tilted, lichen-covered wet boulders added to the fun. (Later we would realize that this fog we were ascending through was in fact a super cool undercast that would remain in the Ammo Ravine for almost the whole day.) Then to the Gulfside, then Clay loop. The fog would remain in and out for most of our two'ish hour visit on the Clay summit. It took a hat, gloves, fleece jacket, and shell, plus some jumping around, to keep my hands warm enough to operate a camera. The cameras themselves were losing the fight against the fog....it was a constant struggle to wipe down the lens whenever a fleeting break in the fog allowed for a half-decent photo op. Ideal photography weather it wasn't, but it was beautiful. And it was kind of funny to suddenly feel so cold. Eight days earlier, in south Providence, my car's thermostat hit 104F. Now it was in the high 40's, windy, and I was soaked with fog, struggling to keep my fingers working. After Clay, we walked over to Washington, then down to the LOC Hut, and down the Ammo. With the exception of a much-needed 45 minute power nap on the way home, I was awake for 40 straight hours...probably not something you want to make a habit of.

video from the summit of Clay

http://walkinginthewoods.smugmug.com/Hiking-Backpacking-and-1/2013/Mt-Clay-midnight-hike-July/30792019_ZrkTFm#!i=2662960351&k=3WqJh6T

Daybreak from Mt Clay
IMG_1580e-L.jpg

A freakishly animated fog rolling over Madison
IMG_1590e-L.jpg

A fleeting bit of soft light on the Mt Clay summit
IMG_7202e-L.jpg

The aptly named Great Gulf
IMG_7207e-L.jpg

The battle of the ravines.....Tuckerman vs. Ammonoosuc.
IMG_7218e-L.jpg

Searching for the LOC Hut
IMG_7229e-L.jpg

First view of Monroe and the hut
IMG_7235e-L.jpg

The north Lake of the Clouds
IMG_7241e-L.jpg

The dungeon under the LOC Hut
IMG_1603e-L.jpg

Last edited:
That is funny you post this. I am looking to do my first sunrise or sunset/night time hike and have been debating what summit would be the easiest to walk to for a first night hike so I'm ready for the sunrise. Mt Clay and that general area from Sphinx Col to the headwall of Great Gulf is one of my favorite areas in all of the White Mountains and is well oriented for a sunrise. How would you rate that hike up Jewell Trail at night? I've done that trail several times during the day (once with a broken ankle!) and remember the grades and footing being pretty good for most of it but I've never done a night hike before. Any advice? I was thinking of doing Garfield because it is a little shorter drive from my house and the only time I climbed Garfield it was snowing and foggy so I didn't get to see the view. I had forgot all about Jewell Trail. May be another good option.

Thanks for sharing the pics and sharing the love with Mount Clay. So many hikers skip over this amazing mountain everyday. It is an amazing destination worthy of some big mountain acclaim.

Z :D

Love the shot looking back towards Washington in the soft light! Excellent post!

Thanks to all for the nice comments.

... How would you rate that hike up Jewell Trail at night? I've done that trail several times during the day (once with a broken ankle!) and remember the grades and footing being pretty good for most of it but I've never done a night hike before. Any advice? I was thinking of doing Garfield because it is a little shorter drive from my house and the only time I climbed Garfield it was snowing and foggy so I didn't get to see the view...

I decided on the Jewell Trail for two reasons:
1- The most direct route to Mt Clay. I wanted to be on Mt Clay.
2- No water crossings. I love mountains brooks and rivers, but I don't feel like playing rock-hopping water games at 2am.
As you said, the footing on Jewell is good ... until you hit treeline, then it's zig-zagging cairn-finding on the jagged boulders.

My Plan B was the Lafayette-Lincoln via the Old Bridle Path......again, good footing and no water games.

Your choice of Garfield for a sunrise is great. Be careful on those brook crossings....remember, every rock looks dry and grippy in the dark.

Have fun. I'm not qualified to give anyone advice, but since you asked here's a few suggestions:
-- put everything you think you'll need on the ascent in a walmart bag and put it at the very top (inside of course) of your pack....it just makes it easier in the dark.
-- at some point along the trail, sit down on the ground, shut off your headlamp, and just listen. For a few minutes...just listen.....it's very cool.
-- if something unfortunate does happen, don't freak out....daylight and probably many hikers are just a few hours away.