Surviving Tom, Field, and Willey, 2/12/2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent trip report, Earl !
Thanks so much for posting. Friends and I are heading up there tomorrow (Sunday 2/20/2011) to hike up at least Tom & Field. Wiley, given your recent experience, is a big question mark.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks.

The trail between Field and Willey is most likely well tracked out at this point. If you're collecting checkmarks on a list, once you're standing on Field, Willey is as cheap as it gets. It's a short walk and not a lot of elevation going or on the return.

Remember, you can always turn around. ;)

Earl,

Great trip report. I've been thinking of doing the same trip this week with my 17 year old son and was looking to see if there were any reports here ... and lo and behold...this awesome write up. I'm thinking Wednesday...won't be as cold as Tuesday.

I had my son read your report. Of course with the thaw, a lttle more snow yesterday and any other weather thats upcomning, it will be a different mountain this week. I'm wondering if we will need to use the crampons. I'm looking forward to seeing what Mike's experience was today.

Also...great photos!

Ed

Went up today - Field & Tom - thanks again!

Mike,

Thanks.

The trail between Field and Willey is most likely well tracked out at this point. If you're collecting checkmarks on a list, once you're standing on Field, Willey is as cheap as it gets. It's a short walk and not a lot of elevation going or on the return.

Remember, you can always turn around. ;)

Thanks very much , Earl. We went up today, Sunday 2/20/2011, appreciate your trip report and advice -- it was very helpful.

We went up Avalon Trail, finding it packed out until we reached the ZA/Avalon split, then Avalon had some minor drifting here and there in the open forest sections -- nothing too difficult. Continued to Mt Avalon before proceeding to Field, whereupon we ate lunch and decided that:
(1) We were already close to our turn-around time for Mt Tom
(2) No one really wanted to plan to hike out by headlamp. :)
(3) It appeared the Wiley Range Trail appeared to have been lightly used, although it was very hard to judge given that we didn't walk down the trail, and just looked at the beginning.

The Wiley Range trail from Field to the junction with the A-Z was well packed out in most places. One or two small drifting areas. Just as you thought.

We had lots of sun upon Field & Tom -- had a great time. No one wandered into spruce traps, although our four-legged companion almost fell into one!
Mike

Earl,

Great trip report. I've been thinking of doing the same trip this week with my 17 year old son and was looking to see if there were any reports here ... and lo and behold...this awesome write up. I'm thinking Wednesday...won't be as cold as Tuesday.

I had my son read your report. Of course with the thaw, a lttle more snow yesterday and any other weather thats upcomning, it will be a different mountain this week. I'm wondering if we will need to use the crampons. I'm looking forward to seeing what Mike's experience was today.

Also...great photos!

Ed

Thanks Ed,

I agree, Wednesday looks like the better day.

Based on what we found when we did this hike and the conditions we experienced on Saturday, I'd be very surprised if you needed more than snowshoes. Except for descending from E. Osceola recently we haven't found any need for crampons at all this winter.

Good luck on Wednesday, with lots of sun and little wind. I hope you guys have a terrific hike.

Earl