Sweat - How do you handle it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
my poor hiking partner tends to sweat quite a bit and with the cold weather it's pretty uncomfortable i'm sure. his undershirt/base layer gets really wet and he usually has to find a way to get it off 1/2 thru the hike. with frigid weather this can't be fun. he's tried various materials in his base layer garments with the same wet results. i don't sweat nearly as bad but i know how uncomfortable i can get if my base layer is even a little damp and maybe the temp drops or the wind picks up and you've got this cold wet layer next to your body. once i get cold it's hard to warm back up in those conditions. so what kind of suggestions can i pass along to him? what little tricks have you tried? does an antipersperant powder or spray help? maybe a base that's easy and quick to get off? any help and advice i know he'll appreciate.
thnx!

Careful management of layering and layer choices. You say he's wearing base layer, which implies outer layer(s). If he's sweating, perhaps an outer layer needs to come off. If the outer layers are not on, then I'd go for a lighter inner layer.

Start out a little cold so as you start hiking, you warm up to a comfortable level.

Hold off on the wind barrier layer until really needed.

Modify your pace to regulate your temp.

You can loose a lot of heat through the top of your head - if warm wear a headband instead of a hat.

This weekend we started our hike at -9 degrees. By the time we reached the summit it was maybe 5 to 10 degrees with a 20 - 30 knot wind. I started with a light poly pro top and a gortex wind jacket with several vents. On my legs I wore ploy bottoms with gortex wind pants with vents.

Below tree line I regulated my temp by use of the vents and wearing/not wearing a hat and mitts. When we reach tree line I added a heavy top layer. By modifying the pace to warm up or stay cool I kept from breaking into a sweat and was comfortable all day. (except for my hands whenever I was taking photos :>)

If "layer" management does not work, there is a product called Drysol. Its a 20% aluminum chlorhydrate product (super anti perspirant) that is prescribed for people who sweat excessively. It is used mainly on armpits, feet and hands but I imagine it could be put almost anywhere. I would recommend avoiding the private parts). You need to apply for several consecutive nights for it to be effective. You then need to apply 1-2 times a week for maintenance. I use it on my feet in the winter. I was finding that I was sweating so excessively, my sox and boots would get wet and then my feet would get very cold. I have found the product to be very effective. It does require a prescription.

Sounds like your partner may be climbing in his/her shell. I wear a pair of TNF Aurora tights for botoms and a midwght Patagonia or Helly polypro top while ascending/climbing below treeline. A little chilly at the start but just right during the climb.

Hyperhidrosis!!!!!!!!

I have thought of, but stayed away from herballly or chemically altering my bodies need to sweat. We sweat for a reason and I prefer not to find out that reason 7 miles in & 4000 feet up.

Layer management is the key, however it is not the answer. Dry clothes, Dry clothes and more dry clothes is the only answer. Starting out cold is more good advice already given.

It is a pain in the neck to carry 3 changes of clothes but for me it is the only way to avoid freezing at the top and being "a bag of water" the rest of the way.

In summer of course the problem cannot be managed with layers as I hike in the legal bare minimum of clothing I can and sweat to beat the band.

<<<Note T-shirt sleeve on head in Avatar, I just rip the shirt apart as I go :cool:

Reducing fluid intake is not an option AT ALL! In fact heavy sweaters need more fluid ( I best my hiking partner by about 30% in fluid intake while hiking)

Urine output, clarity and frequency are also concerns for heavy sweaters, this is an excellent marker to let them know if they are in trouble. If someone can sweat like a pig and still have good output then their body is doing what is normal for it.

Good luck to your friend and would love to hear about any good success they have in mitigating their sweat.

Last edited:
I wear a wool sweater over my base layer and a breathable shell over that. When I sweat, water vapor passes through the base layer and gets absorbed by the wool sweater. The moisture then evaporates right through the fabric of my shell. When I stop, I'll add a layer (either over or under the shell) to keep warm.

sweat

my partner is doing a pretty good job layering. a lite base layer, mid layer, maybe a fleece jacket then an outer gortex, or other material jacket. usually once he starts to get warm he'll ditch the fleece layer or the jacket. he's tried the silk (base layer) which dries quick, but boy it gets wet. i guess i was kind of hoping for some insight on a better type of base layer. there's so many new high-tech materials out there i'm just wondering if there's something that's better against the skin for drawing the moisture away - like maybe a 2-layer type technology. you know.... like a diaper works! :rolleyes: it may just be that he will have to live w/ removing that base layer at some point. then his next layer would at least be dry for the return trip since he doesn't get as heated up on the way down.

Shave it!

We perspire because of our bodies need to cool off. How do I handle it in Summer? Well.. simple.. I shave off the furry stuff. Yes.. I'll admit it.. I shave my legs and pretty much everything else for that matter. It doesn;t itch like one would expect and I do sweat less. I find it more comfortable and Aerodynamic :eek:

In winter, I sweat much less but still do. I don;t dare take the hair off in winter. Layers are key.. dry layers for later.

Perhaps one could bring a cup to collect sweat, let the water evaporate and then use the salt for some McDonals Fries? mmmmmm :p

Sherpa John :eek:

PS.. EMS Techwick Shirts are niceee

Last edited:
I hike/climb in my pajamas. What I wear up.....I sleep in that night, and the next night. It better stay dry or dry very fast. I hike my own hike....If I try to lead or keep pace with a faster hiker, I will sweat more.

Take plenty of breaks..water, gorp, etc...

Starting out in a base layer, fleece middle and then a gortex shell is asking to get drenched. My .02 FWIW...I dont care how great or breathable your layers are.

Try a heavier wool blend base layer. Helly Hansen makes a wool blend base layer used by skiers and climbers. I bought one and like it a lot. Something like $46.00. Its a wool/poly blend and clings close to your body. Warmth of a Patagonia Exp Fleece top but w/o the bulk.

Last edited:
A buddy of mine has this problem, and we pretty much sorted it out on the last trip. First off, he wore a soft-shell while hiking everything below treeline. Second-off his outer shellhas pit-zips. He does wear a head band. I can't say enough good things about the real dea: GORETEX.

If you are on multi-day trip, try taking your outer shell off while you are cooking, and putting it on inside out. The frozen persperation can be brushed off by your partner, and the remainder will be dried by the heat from your body while eating warm food.

I caution you not to get into your sleeping bag (especially down) because the bag will absorb the water from your clothes. Your clothes will be dry, but your bag will be useless, and weigh 100lbs. (perhaps I exhagerate).

-percious

This was a topic of conversation during our hike yesterday. I am also a heavy sweater but most of that is at the beginning of a hike, winter or summer. In winter, I tend to dress so I am on the cool side to minimize the sweat factor. Winter hikes will start out with an extra layer until I'm heated up (usually about 10 to 15 minutes).

Four layers, including a shell, would be overkill for me unless it was well below zero and in a strong wind. I have found that no matter what they say, goretex (or equivalent) will hold in much more moisture than it lets through. It is also a great insulator to hold the heat in. Last year I hiked Cabot in a T-shirt and heavyweight long underwear shirt on a 20 below zero day (no wind). I was quite comfortable and our stops were obviously very brief.

I don't agree with the notion that you should stop often and take plenty of breaks, particularly on a winter hike. I'm not saying that it doesn't work for some people but I have found that thermal management is much more difficult if you interrupt your internal furnace constantly. If you are constantly stopping, you need more layers to stay warm, then when you start hiking you overheat, leading you to stop again. Yesterday during our 7 hour hike we stopped 5 times, 4 times to put crampons on and off and once to eat. Only the first crampon stop approached 10 minutes and most of them were 5 minutes or less.

Keep your snack food and drink handy so you do not have to stop to get at it. I hang my drink in an OR insulator off the side of my pack so I can grab it on the run. Snack food goes into a pocket in a mini-fanny pack (about the size of people's waist wallets) along with my camera. A friend uses an external pocket which lashes onto his pack's waist belt.

That chemical stuff will only clog the sweat pores. It won't get rid of the body heat. It's gotta get out somehow.

Best luck to your friend.

JohnL

sweat salt anyone????

"Perhaps one could bring a cup to collect sweat, let the water evaporate and then use the salt for some McDonals Fries? mmmmmm"
eewwwww
you have way too much time on your hands..... :)

Lots of good info to help you. Starting chilly, zip pits, and side zip pants are the best suggestions.
If it's his back, you might consider an external frame pack. It will allow a little more air flow to reduce the moisture.
I usually wear a wicking shirt (ok, we know cotton is evil) a mid weight fleece and a windban jacket (with zips) but also one with a draw string bottom.
All to regulate air flow when and where I need it.
Most powders (try one with corn starch or Gold Bond) and chemicals can clump-up too, but a little bit never hurt.

what i've learnt today......

i think maybe from reading the replies that one of his biggest problems stems from dressing too warm and heavy to start. it's hard not too when you get out of the car and it's coooooollld. but you warm up so fast and then you're hot and it doesn't take long to work up a sweat. and then who wants to start undressing in the cold huh? so thanx for info and i'll pass along. see if we can't start out a bit lighter. you can always add more if you get cold. and also try some diff 1st layers that maybe wick a bit better too.

i sweat just about as much as your partner... when i'm hiking below tree line and people see me, they always give me a funny look, especially when it's 0 degres... the reason, in the winter i only hike in light weight thermals (tops and bottoms) with gore-tex pants for shells.. that's it... i hike with only a light weight thermal on top with out a shell, the shell only comes on after i reach tree line...

i sweat so much that even if the temperature is below zero i can still get away with only a light thermal on top...

the key here is to bring extra light weight thermal tops and bottoms... this way you can change into dry stuff when needed. if it's real cold and i'm staying consecutive nights i'll change into dry stuff and keep adding layers.... or somtimes i'll leave the light weight thermal on and add layers... the wet thermal will dry quickly and will keep you warm until completely dry...

so, i would suggest starting of cold as a person usually warms within the first 10-20 min of hiking.. i would then (if needed) change into dry stuff i he gets cold.

i've been doing this for the last 3 winters and it's the only way to do things.... seriously i sweat like crazy, i sweat with tevas on!!!

I can't manage my perspiration but I can manage it's evaporation.

I start cold winter activities (hikes, xc ski) with polypro long johns, a mid-weight fleece sweatshirt and a wind-bloc vest and lash a heavy weight fleece and goretex jacket (NF Denali and NF Mountain Light respectively) to the outside of my pack. Sometimes my base layer will be a polypro t-shirt.

This serves me well, sometimes even in exposed conditions.

And, I keep my glove (liners, fleece and mittens) and head layers (fleece headband and wool watch cap) at the ready since those are the items I'll most likely be doing the most shifting around, sometimes while on the move.

... and the need for hydration is probably even more for people who perspire.

Heavy sweat during strenuous exercise is fairly common. IMO (sweat a fair amt myself), one key is moving the moisture/sweat to the evaporative surface w/o soaking the fabric. I've found certain types of fleece do this best. Don't ask me which ones - i just use an old hand-me-down Orvis pullover. But it works. I do notice when I pull it out of the washer it almost seems dry already... Other folks i'm around swear by the more high-tech (think expensive) soft-shell fabrics like the Schoeller Dryskin Extreme, etc. All i know is when i really get going in the winter i have to take off my undershirt and hike in my super-fast-drying fleece as a base layer. Just something your friend might try. :D

At the trailhead I dress warm while putting on gaitors and snowshoes/crampons, any last minute duties, signing the register,... The last thing I do before walking is strip down to a base layer (usually midweight capiline) and then go. I'm cold for about 5 minutes before my blood gets flowing and I'm comfortable. All the advice given is good. I also wear a headband and change my base layer about halfway through the hike. When I do stop for a short break I put on a shell and hat for a few minutes and then take them off before I start walking again. Personally, I wouldn't want to cover myself for days in aluminum something or other.

No sweat.

How about microsurgery to have 50% of the sweat glands removed. I sweat a lot and suffer occasionally (but badly) from chaffing of the inner thighs so maybe I would start there.

I was out recently in double digit sub-zero temps with a very light base layer, a shell and a light headband and my shirt was wet. I always carry a spare or two and the changeover is genuinely invigorating!

I think the best idea on this thread is to dispense with the shell. At the top of Blake during the cold snap I removed my Gore-tex XCR, turned it inside out then proceeded to shake and rub off about 15 pounds of ice.

Last edited: