Sweat - How do you handle it?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a buddy with the same problem. Like John, above, he went to a 'softshell' system - Arc'terix or Schoeller. Just to give you an idea, he now hikes with a coating of white frost when it's cold enough. He also wears two pairs of Smartwool socks and stops to wring them out regularly.

A lot of people have good ideas about prevention. One more tip, softshells and windstopping fleece have a G-Tex membrane and thehy just won't breather efectively under a hard shell. Two membranes are too much.

Aching Nipples

When I am down to just one layer and still dripping from the forehead, I have that awful nippleitus too. Maybe down pasties? :)

I hike in Hot Chiles and fleece shorts all winter with a wicking undershirt covered with a polypro shirt. Covering all this depends upon the expected or actual temperature and wind. I pull layers off very soon into the exertion, but still have to wear a rolled bandana to keep the sweat from running into my eyes and blinding me. The stuff just pours out of my head going uphill, but not downhill. I look at the other hikers with me and they seem to have nary a drop of sweat on their faces. Hats and all. Here I am with no hat, head covered with ice from frozen perspiration, and the rest of me is dry. I usually only put a hat on when I am stopped.

Sure would like to be normal :eek:

TomW

I wore my Icebreaker merino wool top the week-end before last while ice climbing. Temps were c.-24°C and so I wore it over my polypro base layer and under my down sweater under the G-Tex parka. With 200 wt fleece pants over polypro base layer and under my bibs, fleece balaclava under the helmet and plastic boots I didn't need a belay parka.

I usually wear my wool top casually - it was a gift, I couldn't afford one normally.

It's a great top and practical, but I don't think it's a solution for people with a real perspiration problem - you should SEE my buddy and his frost coating.

My experience today with sweating

I'm not sure of the names or materials of the shirts,fleeces, synthetics etc that I own. They are a box full of this and that.

I am a hardcore sweater. Like my signature used to say "I'm sweating like a pig"! and its very true.

Today hiking on the Garfield Trail, I packed (as a field experiment specifically for this thread)three seperate shirt combos,(a wicking layer and fleece) and changed 3 times. It was the best feeling to have dry clothes on throughout the day. My outer layer is a Mtn Hardware Shell and it came on BRIEFLY during the day.

I also had 4 sets of gloves as sweat runs down my arms and into my gloves, as well as my hands being little sweat machines. I thought I had finally found the answer, but...... Carrying all those extra layers on top of what a prudent person packs even for a day hike in winter. I never made the summit. I flopped down from exhaustion with only .8 to go! ( I'm sure the 3:00am wake time and 3 hours of sleep (honest)had nothing to do with it)

The weight made me sweat even more!!!!!!! Is that a catch 22 from hell or what????? :mad: