Switching Tracks -- 6/10/06

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double Bow

Reaction score
Ashuelot, NH (anyone know where that is?) Avatar:
What a day this was! Earlier in the week, the plan had been to do Mansfield with Shamie, jmegillon149, and Wayne. Due to an injury (and an unfavorable forecast), the plan changed. We started Saturday morning with the intention of Shamie and I picking up Mark Goodearl and then heading up to the Livermore Trailhead where we would meet McRat, Amicus, NH_Mtn_Hiker and others. We know that Wayne might meet us there as well. The plan would then be to head up the Tripyramids and possible go out and back over the Sleepers too. It was a good plan but, it was one we wouldn't do.

Things were going well enough until we picked up Mark at the exit 23 Park & Ride and then went to the Irving station. There, our plan was derailed as we had a problem with the car and were forced to abort the plan and head back to Manchester. I was so upset, I nearly blew my stack. :(

After bringing the car to the dealership and getting a quick temporary fix, I had Shamie drop me off where the Rockingham Recreation Trail (a Rail-Trail) crosses Rte 107 in Raymond. Now, I was back on track, though heading down a different line. I felt that I had to get in some mileage to help prep for the "Pound the Presis" event next weekend. While it wasn't going to be nearly as much of a challenge, I figured I could stoke my engine, blow off some steam, and and see if I could make some good time.

During the early part of the hike, I was heading off the trail all over the place checking out side trails, ponds, ball fields, and the very picturesque Raymond depot. I took A TON of pictures. The trail was very wet though the footing was as good as possible. It made me a little nervous going through a few of the tunnels (especially passing under 101) but, it was fun.

While I dawdled early on, once I saw a sign that told me that it was 5mi to the park at Massabesic, I put on the speed and despite some "water hazards", I make that 5 miles in an hour, which I felt was decent. I saw a total of four people all day: a woman walking her dog, a mountain biker named Jay that I talked with for a while, and two guys fishing near Massabesic. All things considered, it was a decent hike and I still managed to get in 14 miles, although they were mostly flat.

Here is my plethora of pictures.

Enjoyed your plethora of pictures! lots of quirky signs there. The water lily (can't remember which species that is, I'll have to check Peterson's when I get home) has reminded me that I have to re-visit Pawtuckway soon & check out the vegetation this time of year.

what do you think of those "services" signs sponsored by local businesses? we have a rail trail in our town, which needs a source of income (we got turned down for some recent state grants despite having some good recommendations from the local planning commission) and I wonder if it would be a good idea to raise money... yet I'd hate to see ads plastered everywhere.

good pics of my old stomping grounds, kind of funny that my messed up knee started a chain of events that eventually brought you to the place where I once spent many an evening biking around