Table Rock and Dixville Peak - 18-Oct-07

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCE

Reaction score
Overall, it was a pretty good day. There was still some color in the Dixville Notch area.

We had never hiked the trails in the Balsam's area before so we decided to do Table Rock (from Rt 26 - TR50) and then to go onto Dixville Peak via the Cohos Trail. It was muddy, muddy, muddy, and wet! I never saw a trail with so much wet and mud and nothing to step on. Almost every where from Table Rock to the summit, including the top of the ski area was wet and I'm not sure when they had rain last - don't think it was *that* recent.

If you plan this trail, take a change of socks and shoes!

/JCE

PS: This will be nicer when the ground freezes. There are many trails in the area and we plan to go back when its colder and try some others.

We did this peak late last winter / early spring. Still snow on the ground then. From the top of the ski area to Dixville Peak was a hard packed snowmobile trail. Easy sidewalk walkin'...

I got soaked on this trail too (from balsams to summit) 2 or 3 months ago.. The mud was pretty bad, but the tall dew covered grass was worse. It completely soaked me from just above my knees to my feet and it hadn't even rained.

Such a cool area tho. Dixville notch isn't like the other notches...

I did that section yesterday. Yep... still wet! That trail wasn't made for boots - it was made for galoshes!

For a drier approach with better views, try taking the ATV trail to Dixville's summit from Kelsey Notch. The road goes through the notch to the south of the peak, and then starts up the southwest side before turning directly east towards the summit. It is a bit longer, but there are good views over to Muise, Gore, Blue, Sugarloaf... and the CT in that section is way more enjoyable. Plus, you can run it! We drove in about 2 miles on the road, but parked before there were a few good-sized bumps on the road. We saw a truck with some hunters at one point, then a guy in a little Jeep Liberty drove right past us a bit later. I guess all you need is a little ground clearance and you can get within a couple miles of the summit. Our approach was about 6 miles, and we took the trip over to Table Rock on the way out.

The weather was glorious yesterday. Still some foliage hanging on, and it was like a summer day with no bugs and pure blue skies.

albee said:
Our approach was about 6 miles, and we took the trip over to Table Rock on the way out.

Hey Albee, I think you mean we took a side trip to Table Rock. There is no way you could get me to go "over" Table rock. :)

alspal said:
There is no way you could get me to go "over" Table rock. :)

Well, you've jumped out of an airplane before... I bet parasailing to Lake Gloriette wouldn't be nearly as dangerous! ;)