Take Care in Hiring Guides

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll guide anyone who wants to go look for Champ. Just pm me your credit card info :eek::D

Seriously though, I have done about a dozen or so guided trips to mountain out west or in Asia, so far, although expensive, I have been delighted with the service on all of my trips as a client. But yes, some are better then others, do your homework. Make sure you understand exactly what your guide fees do and do not pay for ahead of time.

NYS Licensed guides

I have a friend who is a licensed NYS guide. Most of his clients are very nice cool people who do not have reliable friends to backpack with. So for a small fee they get a guy who has done the trail carries a first aid kit and emergency odds and ends and makes their trip great. Some are women who don't feel comfortable alone on the trail. The guy is extremely professional, never tires out and is super straight. He has been to virtually every peak and corner of the ADKs and most of the Whites. At first I was skeptical of what a guide really does. It’s not for me, but if you need a hiking partner it’s the way to go.

I have a friend who is a licensed NYS guide. Most of his clients are very nice cool people who do not have reliable friends to backpack with. So for a small fee they get a guy who has done the trail carries a first aid kit and emergency odds and ends and makes their trip great. Some are women who don't feel comfortable alone on the trail. The guy is extremely professional, never tires out and is super straight. He has been to virtually every peak and corner of the ADKs and most of the Whites. At first I was skeptical of what a guide really does. It’s not for me, but if you need a hiking partner it’s the way to go.
Don't forget to mention the link to the New York State Outdoor Guides Association. It lists all member guides and their specialties in great detail, along with lots of other information on guiding. :)

The Adirondack Daily Enterprise has a couple of recent stories on guides:
Guides adjust, thrive in modern times

Maine guide shares insights on hunting deer

Last edited: