Tarp Shelter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

udenmatt94

Reaction score
I have a question about which types of tarps to use to set up a tarp shelter. Obviously waterproof and something I could cook under with a stove and also rig up a hammock under?

Silnylon tarps are available that are light weight and fairly cheap. They are rectagular with plenty of guy points, the trade off is they are not very aerodynamic

Last edited:
There are lots of different backpacking tarps out there - cheap, heavy ones on Amazon all the way to ultralight, pricier ones made by cottage companies. Silpoly material makes for a light tarp and dynema ones are even lighter (though quite expensive). I used a Hennessey Hex Fly for my first couple years of hammock camping. It worked well but after my first winter trip I decided I wanted to upgrade to a tarp with doors. I went with the UGQ Winterdream 12 which provided more protection and is also lighter than the hex fly. And it was buttons to close the doors which I love. UGQ, Dutchware and HammockGear all make excellent tarps. Here's a video I made after I got the Winterdream.

what would be the difference of using a silopoly and something like a super heavy duty poly tarp?

Primarily weight and the ability to adjust a tarp to your specific needs. Those heavy duties ones can certainly be shelters but they aren't specifically designed for that. So you don't get all the guy out options like you would for a backpacking tarp.

Of course if you're a Tarp Wizard I'm sure you can take one of those basic tarps and make a lair that puts my Winterdream to shame.

Agreed the primary immediate difference is weight (when simply considering the material) Also, I would expect a difference in longevity if you'll be doing this alot or long distance thru hiking. That said, when you say silopoly, it brings to mind tailored shape vs. rectangular shape; and differently positioned tiedown points. All of that become more possible when a tarp is tailored which is easier with a nylon or silcoat material vs. a blue tarp you might get for $10 at a box store. That said I've slept dry under the latter type of tarp during a hurricane in the 70s but as any expereinbce tarp user will tell you its more about how you set it up.

Those poly tarps are a heavier version of the ubiquitous blue tarps you see everywhere: heavy, crinkly, bulky when folded, etc.

I use a roughly rectangular silnylon tarp from Golite. It's slightly shaped, meaning that if you stretched it out with all sides on the ground it'd be like a very low tent, about 18" high. Before that I used a basic rectangular nylon tarp from Campmor. I do use a cheap thin poly tarp as a ground sheet, though; it's camo so I can use it to make my pack disappear if I want to leave it and go for a day hike.

And a bivy sack underneath, so any rain that does blow in doesn't really matter.

Whatever you go with get something big enough to actually shelter you, not just make shade for your hammock :) Saw forty some days of rain on my 57 day Longhos Loop last year, often making and breaking camp in pouring rain. Having some defensible space to change clothes and eat is worth a few extra ounces of tarp.

They don't pay me, but Hammock Gear Journey silpoly tarps are a pretty good value if you aren't investing in DCF.

Another point about setting up. When I was using a rectangular tarp I would set it up as an inverted V shape (like a classic A-frame tent.) The front height would be 2-3' off the ground and the foot height would be 6-12" off the ground and into the wind. Doing this I noticed that most of the "walls" by the feet have wasted and unneeded weight. Eventually, I trimmed about 1/3 of the tarp away thus turning it into a trapezoid shape and having with no loss of functionality. For the details: I started with an 8x10. 8 foot long. On the head end it was still 10 ft wide. On the foot end it was the middle 3 or 4 feet. There were already grommet along that edge and I aligned the cut to use two of the edge grommet holes as the new corners. I left enough to hem the side edge. I sewed in two small parachute cord tied down loops on the midpoint of the new sides. Eventually I took the removed pieces and sewed it onto the head end of the tarp making doors. This become my preferred solo shelter for many trips. This all evolved before silcoat tarps became available for sale like those from Six Moon and others. Now I would look at the Deschutes.

Whatever you go with get something big enough to actually shelter you, not just make shade for your hammock :) Saw forty some days of rain on my 57 day Longhos Loop last year, often making and breaking camp in pouring rain. Having some defensible space to change clothes and eat is worth a few extra ounces of tarp.

They don't pay me, but Hammock Gear Journey silpoly tarps are a pretty good value if you aren't investing in DCF.
Picked up a journey myself last year. Nice bit of kit. Had been using a DIY hex for years that was borderline on size; always managed to stay dry, but was a bit nervous more than once.

Picked up a journey myself last year. Nice bit of kit. Had been using a DIY hex for years that was borderline on size; always managed to stay dry, but was a bit nervous more than once.
I own several of them, mostly used by my wife and daughter these days. Very solid for the price, but won't take a heavy snow load heh.

"Upgraded" to HGs small DCF model a couple years ago. Much less coverage in bad weather compared to the Journey as it isn't as wide, but 11oz lighter if I recall correctly.

Another point about setting up. When I was using a rectangular tarp I would set it up as an inverted V shape (like a classic A-frame tent.) The front height would be 2-3' off the ground and the foot height would be 6-12" off the ground and into the wind. Doing this I noticed that most of the "walls" by the feet have wasted and unneeded weight. Eventually, I trimmed about 1/3 of the tarp away thus turning it into a trapezoid shape and having with no loss of functionality. For the details: I started with an 8x10. 8 foot long. On the head end it was still 10 ft wide. On the foot end it was the middle 3 or 4 feet. There were already grommet along that edge and I aligned the cut to use two of the edge grommet holes as the new corners. I left enough to hem the side edge. I sewed in two small parachute cord tied down loops on the midpoint of the new sides. Eventually I took the removed pieces and sewed it onto the head end of the tarp making doors. This become my preferred solo shelter for many trips. This all evolved before silcoat tarps became available for sale like those from Six Moon and others. Now I would look at the Deschutes.
I have a Deschutes that I like quite a lot. I haven’t used it in bad weather yet, but I have set it up before heavy rain to test my seam-sealing job and only found one small leak at the peak. After taking care of that it’s been bone dry.

You definitely want to practice setting it up in the backyard at least several times before taking it on a hike. It’s not particularly difficult to pitch but getting the trekking pole angle correct will take some trial & error to maximize sleeping space. Definitely use the 2 side guyout points for headroom & foot room. I didn’t in the pic and you can see how close the tent would be to your face.

I also have the Haven net tent and a tie-in floor, the Haven is just wide enough to fit a 25” pad. I think I’m going to buy another one and have them cut & sewn to take up the entire space brtween the back of the tent and the pole. I also have a separate bathtub floor that can be attached to the stakes.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpeg
    IMG_0056.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 0